C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Light Between Worlds

The Light Between Worlds by Laura E. Weymouth

bookshelves: read-2019, young-adult, historical-fiction

I'll be honest = this book hit me really hard and I'm a bit dismayed that (in all the promo/reviews/hype I've seen) no one's talked about how this is very heavily about depression and suicide. Please be careful if you pick it up and you're not in a good place. I honestly felt (and I hope I'm wrong and that I misunderstood the book's intention) that it had underlying tones of depressed people being a burden to society and their families. This is so so dangerous to say. And so so untrue. Depressed people deserve love and support. Always.

(I did have lots I loved about the style and the emotion the whole story conveyed, as well as how strong and wholesome the romance threads were. But I also love Narnia, and this is absolutely Narnia fanfic and I'm so confused as to how that's allowed?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Worlds.

April 12, 2017 – Shelved
April 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 25, 2019 – Started Reading
February 25, 2019 –
page 100
31.25% "Like I'm enjoying this because I think it's going to be the Susan/Narnia story we always deserved. But how is it legal? 😂The names are changed but it's Narnia fanfic?"
February 26, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
February 26, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 26, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
February 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Bella (new) - added it

Bella Mauro Thank you for warning us about the depression and suicide triggers. I was planning on reading this book but, I think I might wait until I’m in a better place. Thanks again.😊

message 2: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews That's ok! I wasn't in the right place to read this 😔so I think it's good to warn others.

message 3: by Theodora (new)

Theodora Thanks for the warning. I really wish books had trigger warnings. So many of them deal with sensitive topics that could potentially trigger someone.

message 4: by ∘⊱ (new)

∘⊱ αnni ⊰∘ Thank you for the warning. 💕

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Writes Oh wow thanks for the warning. This seems dangerous ⚠️

message 6: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews Or even just a little warning in the blurb what it's going to be like? That would help. 😔

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Thanks so much for the warning. Even in a good place, stuff like this can bring up - feelings. Best to avoid, for me.

message 8: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews I totally understand, Laura. 😔

message 9: by Jes (new) - added it

Jes Hmm yeah this one is challenging, just finished the novel myself and was unsure if it was metaphor or reality at the end and concerned for what that could mean. That said, in my own life I have been on both sides of the coin that Phillipa and Evelyn are and I understand how there is truth in the feelings of being a burden, and not knowing how to help someone and also take care of yourself, especially when dealing with your own demons. Though it seemed to me the novel reached a place where the sisters could state their love for one another in the end beyond all this, their long journey there left me concerned and up in the air for quite a while too! The book explores some dark places without drawing clear statements about them. In some ways it felt comforting to be seen/represented, in others it felt it lacked in assurances. It helped to remind myself that the overall message was one of love and to look for how the characters showed to one another that as best they could.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Jes. EXACTLY. I'm with you on this. I've experienced what both the sisters went through with relating to depression or being depressed, and there were good points made. It's difficult to support depressed people...but the second you start with the "it's not my job if I don't want to do it" messages though, it's talking about conditional love and feeds into the poisonous ideal that mental illness is a burden and people have better lives without them. (view spoiler) And like you said: I think it didn't properly draw conclusions about the messages.

message 11: by Jes (last edited Mar 01, 2019 01:35AM) (new) - added it

Jes Mm yes. (and to clarify in case anything was lost in translation via internet comment, though, it seems we are on the same page -- I too am definitely on board with the danger and pain of feeling a burden, and thus when viewing it from the flip side am so careful to word it as that scary and sometimes stressful fog of "not knowing how to help someone" and the conflict and stumbling (in Phillipa's (fortunately not my own) case, mistakenly) down the path of learning that comes from a need-- felt, recommended by a therapist, etc, to "also take care of yourself, especially when dealing with your own demons.") The biggest thing you mentioned here that left me as well looking to discuss it with someone was the ending, which the book leaves so unclear. (view spoiler) Overall, like your original review states, there is some lovely writing and styliziation here, and a depth in exploration of emotion that could speak to the right readers, but absolutely one should know what they are getting into.

Edit: Also, just noticed your comment from up above. You are seen, wishing you warmth, security, and whatever else you may need in this time <3

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω I was planning on reading this sometime soon, but I think I'll set that idea aside for now. Thank you for the forewarning!! 🙏 They really should have some kind of warning listed on the blurb. And I hope you enjoy some happier, lighter reads after this one. 😊