Nicole G.'s Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

it was ok
bookshelves: 2017, young-adult
Read from May 17 to 19, 2017 , read count: 1

This book . . .

An interesting premise, telling the tale via audio cassettes. The story was very compelling, and it didn't take me very long to finish this book.

However, 13 Reasons made me very angry.

I think that it glorifies suicide, in a way. Hannah, in typical teenager-ish fashion, basically offs herself as a form of revenge. I'll make them pay for what they all did to me. In real life, once you're gone, that's the end. And if this book were a realistic portrayal, that's how it would be. Sure, there would be some that would be sad, but there wouldn't be all of this blow-up and drama around school about it. We ALL failed Hannah, et cetera.

Hannah is a horrible character. Every time her voice came up in italics in the book, I read it in a smarmy tone, as that's what I believe she would sound like. Are you listening, world? I have something Very Important to say. Also, how she handles (view spoiler)

Interestingly enough, when I was telling someone else about this, it conjured up a real-life suicide-as-public-spectacle scenario I read about several years ago. Christine Chubbuck is a name that might not be known to many, but has popped up again recently in the form of two films in 2017, one of which is a biopic entitled "Christine." Anyway, she was a promising journalist in Sarasota, Florida in the early 1970s, but obviously had a lot of problems, so much so that she decided to end her life by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

In the middle of her live news broadcast.

The speculation was that Christine had issues connecting with people, and didn't really date, and I read a rather sexist (even for the time period) article that said it was because she was afraid to be a spinster.

Bringing this back to Hannah and spectacle, Chubbuck volunteered to do a piece on suicide for the station and spoke with a police officer on what would be the best way. She supposedly joked to a co-worker a week prior, "Wouldn't it be wild if I blew myself away on the air?"

No one thought anything of it. No one tried to stop her. No one thought very deeply. And I suppose, if Christine had wanted to, she could have blamed all of those people in her life for not noticing the signs that were there.

However, in her suicide note, it was stated that she wanted "everyone" to see her death. Hmm.
1 like · flag