Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Cross Bones

Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs

2281988

liked it
bookshelves: genre-mystery, level-adult

Unquestionably, this book is well-written. I loved the dialogue - especially the banter between Tempe and Ryan - and the description, and the plot structure is sound. The plot itself, in which Tempe tries to figure out whether a set of bones belong to Jesus Christ, is interesting, and since I feel certain in my belief that no such bones will ever be found, it did not offend me.

What does bother me, though, is the way the author apparently buys into the notion that Christians reject science for fear that it will contradict their beliefs. The suggestion, for example, that carbon-14 dating on the shroud of Turin is a "wham-o for the Vatican" and the statement that Western religions all rely upon divine mystery and belief instead of reason and science unfairly simplify Christian beliefs and perpetuate stereotypes. The fact is, many Christians (and Catholics in particular) do embrace science. We also use logic and reason to argue for the existence of God. Yes, we have faith, but the dogmas which Catholics are required to believe include neither a belief in the authenticity of the shroud of Turin nor a literal interpretation of the seven-day creation. Christians don't automatically shy away from scientific inquiry; many of us see the scientific method as the ideal way to uncover the mysteries of life. It seemed a shame to me that this author, whose writing I have always admired, has such a shallow view of religious belief when all other aspects of her books have such depth.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross Bones.

November 26, 2013 –
page 66
14.57% (Other Paperback Edition)
April 11, 2017 – Started Reading