Judi Easley's Reviews > Other Than

Other Than by Mia Jo Celeste

Disclaimer: The author provided me with an eARC of Other Than in exchange for an honest review, for which I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions are fully my own.
~ Judi E. Easley for Blue Cat Review

My Review:
I have never read a zombie novel before this, so it was all a new experience for me. It was interesting. And for a debut novel, amazing. The characters were fully involved. There was no standing around looking scary. Every single character had a function, a purpose.

Lowell Island is a dangerous place. It's run by a really scary lady, Lady Lowell. She has only one aim in life, and that's to ensure the survival of her son any way she can. Her son, Victor, is in love with Evie. Evie isn't exactly alive, as in human. She's a skin-slider. In her own form, she has gray skin, silver eyes, and is bald. She is the last of her kind. She has to almost die and lose her sense of reality to come out on the other side of all the violence and evil to be able to choose Victor and save them both.

Ms. Celeste creates very graphic scenes on the ship to the island and on the island. She shows you the mindless violence and how difficult it is for a zombie to stay alive among others. She shows their symbiotic relationships very well. Their need to feed to keep their humanity.

If zombies are your thing, give this one a try. I'm sure we'll be hearing more from this author in the future. Whether it's zombies or something else, it will be solidly written with a good plot and a lot of imagination.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Than.

April 11, 2017 – Started Reading