Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Beneath This Ink

Beneath This Ink by Meghan March

If I didn't already love this series something fierce, this book would've solidified that love a million times over. This book was incredible. It was everything I never knew I needed, and more. It was well written, it was mesmerizing and enrapturing in every way possible, and it gave me a story of two people who seemed beyond opposite, yet couldn't be more right for one another. This book was full of push and pull, and back and forth, and it tested the limits of these characters on more than one occasion, but getting to see them fight, getting to see them struggle, and getting to see them give it there all for what they wanted and what they needed was everything. I loved every single word, and feeling, and moment of this book. I could continue saying that again and again, and I still wouldn't be saying it enough.

I. Loved. This. Book.

From the very first pages of this book I was hooked. I was hooked into unraveling what had gotten these characters to where they were. I was hooked into seeing what would happen on that next page. And I was beyond hooked into watching the fiery connection between them build and build and build some more until it exploded into the most dazzling and mesmerizing fireworks I had ever experienced.

Beneath This Ink follows the story of Vanessa and Con, two people who couldn't seem more opposite, yet share a connection that just won't quit. These two share a very interesting past with so many twists and turns that have gotten them to the present of this book. Its that present that finds Vanessa needing a favor from Con, leading Con to seize an opportunity to get one more night with the girl he can't seem to stop thinking about. These go back and forth with one another like it's not even funny, and they both have their guards up for different reasons, yet the more time they spend together, the more those guards start to come crashing down. The events of this book follows Con and Vanessa as they start to realize that there might be more to what's happening between them than just a measly favor.

Their connection is on fire, their past and present is out to get them at every turn, and their are more forces trying to pull them apart than are pushing them together, yet every ounce of what these two share comes bursting to the surface in a way that can't be ignored or denied. Vanessa and Con may seem like opposites who couldn't be more wrong for one another, but these two soon learn that being wrong never felt so damn right. Their story is enrapturing in every way possible. It's needy, it's heated, it's visceral and honest and emotional, and it's them. This story personified their characters, and the journey you get with them is full of ups and downs, and twists I guarantee you won't see coming...so buckle in y'all because Beneath This Ink is one helluva ride that you've been waiting for.

Con, Con, Con...let's talk about how much that man owns my heart. That man is tough, he is a front to be reckoned with, and there is no playing with him. He's got his walls, he's got his past and guilt weighing over him, yet he is a man who is trying to do some good and give back with all that he can. That man is a bit rough around the edges in the most swoonworthy way, yet the cracks that show you his vulnerability, his protectiveness, and his heart are EVERYTHING. There is no resisting that man, and when he starts to fall, boy does he fall. You will love falling under the spell he casts, and you will love getting to see him go from someone so tough, to being so affected by the one woman he swore he wouldn't let get to him. My heart went to that man again and again while reading this book because of what he goes through, and it was incredible to see him fight like he did, reveal what he did, and go through what he did in this book. I am telling you, there is not resisting that man.

Vanessa Frost is a woman seen as an ice queen by most, yet that girl burns something fierce. She is no wilting flower, and she isn't afraid to give it her all and do what it takes to get what she needs and what she wants. That girl ain't afraid of nothing, and I loved getting to see her fire and strength come out in this book. Like with Con's character, Meghan March does such an incredible job of not only allowing me to see her strength and fire, but also allowing me to see her vulnerability and what she hides from the world. That connected me immediately to her character, it let me understand her so much, and it had me invested so much in her and her journey in this story. Just like with Con, so much of this book and story allows you to see Vanessa break through the walls she puts up, and get to the real deal of what she wants and what she's not willing to go without, and that was everything. It was real, it was emotional, and it was a journey full of some serious shocks and feels, and I loved getting to be there every step of the way with her.

I have to say one of my favorite parts of this book was getting to feel how these characters affected one another. Both Con and Vanessa have their walls, and for good reasons that are easy to understand. The closer and closer these two got, the more I realized how much they affected one another, and the more I felt how they were shaking and starting to break down those carefully constructed walls. Getting to be with those two through everything they shared as those walls got closer and closer to crumbling was the most amazing thing. It showed just what could be between these two, it showed how real and true their connection was, and it showed that preconceived notions can be so far from the truth.

Beneath This Ink was the most phenomenal second book in this series. I already loved the first book in this series and knew I would most likely love whatever came next, but I don't think I was prepared for how much I was going to love this book and story. It was so consuming on every level. So real and raw. So honest and a little bit gritty and whole lot of messy with everything that happens to these two, but it was their story and these characters owned every word of it. Meghan March blew me away with what she created between them, and what she so thoughtfully crafted in this book, and I can't say enough how much I loved and enjoyed reading and experiencing this book.

I am now more than ready to see what the rest of this series will hold for this world. In Beneath This Ink I was thrown once again into the thick of New Orleans, with a world of characters that speak to my heart and soul, and getting to be with them and experience what I did with them was so damn good. I have no doubt this series will be one of my favorites with how it's already taking ahold of me, and I can't wait for more.

I can't recommend these books and these stories enough. They are the perfect blend of everything, and they are so so good. So grab your mask and your ink, your party beads and maybe a shot, and jump into the sultry and encapsulating world of the Beneath Series, and be ready for one wild and all-consuming ride. You'll never want to leave the people and the places you find along the way, so be prepared for one helluva ride that you'll pray never ends. These books are that good. That. Damn. Good.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath This Ink.

Quotes Megan Liked

Meghan March
“When she’d stepped back into my life, I’d seized the moment. I’d carpe’d the fucking diem.”

Meghan March
“You humble me. And that’s just one more reason I fucking love you.”

Meghan March
“I pulled open the door, and the orangey-peach colored dress she was wearing cast my dark mood into the gutter. She reminded me of a Flintstone’s push-pop I’d had as a kid, and I wanted to lick her from neck to knees.”

Meghan March
“Her knee shot up and caught me unaware. I stumbled back a step, grunting, and bent over as the sick feeling in my gut twisted. “Fuck, woman. Did you have to crush my balls?” She must have lowered her head because I could feel her breath on my ear when she spoke. “One, don’t ever talk to me like that again. I’m a fucking lady.”

Meghan March
“He nipped at my ear. “Brace yourself on the wall. It’s gonna get a little rowdy in here.”

Meghan March
“I opened my mouth to protest and shut it when a stinging slap landed on the side of my left butt cheek. “Hey!” “Told you it was gonna get a little rowdy,”

“You hated me.”
“I never hated you. Just didn’t want to want you so damn bad. And now I don’t care - because you’re mine.”

Meghan March
“Hold on to me princess. I need to know you're with me.”

Meghan March
“Baby you scared the hell out of me tonight .I could've lost you. Right now is not a good time to ask me to let you out of my sight. I can't do it. I need you next to me so I know you're safe.”

Meghan March
“If you're waiting for my answer: I ain't done with you. I'll never be done with you. If you'd hated me for what I'd done, I would've found a way to change your mind. Because you're mine, and I'm yours-and I'm never letting you go."

"It's a good thing you're not done with me, because it would've been really awkward when I handcuffed myself to your bed and told you I wasn't going anywhere.”

April 11, 2017 – Started Reading