Susan C Lance's Reviews > Mr Britling Sees it Through

Mr Britling Sees it Through by H.G. Wells

11999869

UPDATE: After writing this review I looked up the book on Wikipedia and found out more that makes me realize it needs to become a bestseller again. When it was published in 1916, it became one of the most popular novels in England. It was also used as as essential reading in a chaplain's education as well as being widely read by military officers and religious leaders of the day. It is amazing to me that a book that is this important and by such a well-known author has disappeared from bookshelves and libraries. With all the current "saber rattling" it needs to be read again and soon. ---- I came across this book while I was working on a reading list of Publishers Weekly Bestsellers. This was the top book for 1916 AND it was written by H. G. Wells! What! That H.G. Wells? The War of the Worlds H.G. Wells? Yes and I had never heard of this book before. I Wiki'd him and it turns out he wrote many books before the ones we know him for and he is an absolutely wonderful writer! What a find! He was English and wrote this during the first two years of World War 1. Having published it in 1916 the war would not conclude for two more years. This work of historical fiction shows us not only how much World War 1 affected one man in the English countryside but also the rest of the world. Haunting, beautiful, devastating and even funny it needs to be read and pondered. I need to check to see if it has ever been made into a movie. It would be a classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr Britling Sees it Through.

April 11, 2017 – Started Reading