Ben Zornes's Reviews > Blame it on the Brain

Blame it on the Brain by Edward T. Welch

bookshelves: theology, worldview

Recent studies in neurology has resulted in many sins being "re-classified" as diseases, and sadly many Christians have not been able to synthesize scientific research of the brain and Scripture. We've been far too prone to make Scripture subservient to what Scientism says, than reason through scientific data scripturally. Welch threads this needle as if he was a card-carrying member of a babushka's quilting club.

Especially in his treatment of psychiatric medications (i.e. antidepressants) and homosexuality I thought he was particularly articulate, clear, and most importantly Biblical first. He was immensely helpful at encouraging Christians to seek to be understanding of the experiences of those with brain disorders, brain injuries/handicaps, as well as those suffering from depression, Alzheimers, homosexual attraction, and alcoholism. He never surrendered the high ground of Scripture's authority, and did a wonderful job of showing how it applies to all these issues and categories. Compassion and truth were both at home here, as it should be.

I highly recommended to anyone who is affected (personally or someone you know) by "brain issues". It will certainly make you uncomfortable in places, as we are far too much a product of our secular culture, but Welch gently leads the reader to see how Scriptural understanding of how God made man must govern our understanding of neurological discoveries and studies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blame it on the Brain.

April 11, 2017 – Started Reading