Evan's Reviews > Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II

Death Traps by Belton Y. Cooper

M 50x66
Aug 09, 2011

Another excellent soldier bio, but one this time relating the challenges if the American tank crew during WWII. You first scratch your head that it's author is the maintenance officer before you discover that the reason for this is the countless deaths of other armor officers who might have been around to write their own stories has the tanks they drove not been death traps relative to their opponents.

It is filled with enthralling personal tales which get you close to men and close to the action, while realizing just what they were up against. Our guys were cannon fodder thrown against German tanks and anti-tank personnel rocket Panzerfausts. Eventually we were taking ground troops and throwing them into tanks...trained by the mechanics to run it...because we'd run out of tank crews. We had more tanks than men trained to run them.

I dislike slow and impersonal (historical) warrior bios, and this one does not disappoint as a good read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Traps.