Maria's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Aug 09, 2011

bookshelves: ya, 2011-favorites, books-i-own, stand-alone-ultimate-faves
Read from December 19 to 21, 2011

I highly recommend Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

*****

REGAL.

It was a good thing that I did not read The Daughter of Smoke and Bone when everyone was talking about it way back September/October. It would’ve lost its uniqueness to me. So what did i think of Laini Taylor’s book with so much hype? I was… enthralled. I think that was the word i was looking for. I was drowned in the richness of the myths and tales – hook, line, and sinker! No doubt Taylor is a superb storyteller. I was lost in Elsewhere! And being lost in that world was a sweet escape.

When I think of Karou, i think of her doing her Jujitsu moves, wishing rather immaturely on her pebbles, and keeping her two lives as secret as possible. I love her wryness on hiding the truth from her friends by telling the truth itself. I found her remarkable as a heroine and as a daughter of Brimstone and the others. Akiva‘s character is well-played for me. The transition from being lifeless to confused to enlightened to helplessness was really smooth. I love Akiva, from his exotic name to his remorse.

The part where Akiva and Madrigal’s story unraveled? I rather found it unnecessary. It dragged on with the somber feel I can do without. Nevertheless, the mythical twists and turns are pretty much what gripped me tight. Fave scene? When Akiva attacked Karou the first time they met. He was dead set on killing Karou! *bloodthirsty* LOL

The Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a very adventurous read. Too much information? I think not. I handled the magnitude of Karou’s story with ease and quick understanding. It is unlike any urban fantasy i’ve ever read in a while. Not to mention that Taylor wrote beautifully it made me a fan of her overnight. :)

Quotes Maria Liked

Laini Taylor
“I know it's not easy for you, living this life, but try to remember, always try to remember, you're not the only one with troubles.”
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Laini Taylor
“Oh, Hell. Must. Mate. Immediately.”
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone