Katie Sholty's Reviews > Take the Key and Lock Her Up

Take the Key and Lock Her Up by Ally Carter

did not like it
bookshelves: mental-health

It is over. It is finished. It incites madness. It is repetitive as a toddler asking you why.

Know is used 558 times.
Think is used 220 times.
Feel is used 141 times.
Run is used 138 times.
Need is used 116 times.

I do appreciate that Ally Carter draws attention to PTSD and mental health issues. She does break down that wall and makes it approachable to readers who may not have come into contact with it before. However, the execution of Grace’s experiences was more off putting and frustrating than helpful for me as a reader. Throughout this series, I have found Grace to be obnoxious, selfish, and rude to those in her inner circle. Noah, Megan, Rosie, and Alexi deserved a better friend. I hoped with this last installment, that Grace would change, that she would grow up. She didn’t, and it was maddening. How does she still have friends?

Noah, Megan, and Rosie were lacking hardcore in this. They were the only thing that made me want to continue reading.

Where was Jamie and Grace’s dad throughout all of this?

Grace knows what it's like to be treated like she is crazy, so riddle me this, why is she treating Karina like a piece of wadded up trash?

How did Grace’s grandfather stay in the dark all of these years?

Why didn’t Ann, burn them all down and end the book 200 pages ago?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Take the Key and Lock Her Up.

Quotes Katie Liked

“Karina!” I yell,”

Ally Carter
“I believe it has an entire staff of seamstresses and tailors. We can have anything altered—anything at all. It’s really no—”

Ally Carter
“I ease out my third-story window and drop onto the brick ledge below, but I’m not even a little bit afraid. I should be, I know. If I were normal. If I had good sense. If I were sane.”

Ally Carter
“I’m the solution to a two-hundred-year-old”

April 9, 2017 – Started Reading
April 9, 2017 – Shelved
April 10, 2017 –
15.0% "It's only chapter 5, and Jamie's injury has been mentioned every other page."
April 11, 2017 –
21.0% "In the previous books, it never was made clear that Ardia was a pivotal country in world politics, and now it suddenly is."
April 11, 2017 –
22.0% "The word "think" is 220 times.
"Know" is used 558 times.
"Run" is used 135 times.

I'm developing an eye twitch."
April 11, 2017 –
22.0% "The word "think" is 220 times.
"Know" is used 558 times.
"Run" is used 135 times.

I'm developing an eye twitch."
April 12, 2017 –
50.0% ""Megan isn't wrong, because Megan isn't stupid. But that doesn't mean I have to like it."

Please stop Grace. For the love of my sanity, grow up.

"
April 13, 2017 –
60.0% "Would the Adrian people actually accept a king who is American? #plothole"
April 13, 2017 –
67.0% "Is grandpa completely clueless to who Grace and Jamie are?"
April 16, 2017 –
82.0% ""Grace, no."! Should be the title of this book."
April 17, 2017 –
91.0% "If you are a country that is a key player, but you don't have military strength or any goods that are exported (i.e. oil), how are you important? #plotholes"
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: mental-health
April 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Sarah Don't forget all of the mentions of Alexei's eyes.

Katie Sholty I completely forgot about his eyes!!!! LOLOLOLOL

Sarah Katie wrote: "I completely forgot about his eyes!!!! LOLOLOLOL"

I seriously wanted to tab every time that his eyes were mentioned. I GET IT HE HAS ICY BLUE EYES!!!

Katie Sholty I started to block things out because I was so annoyed.