Michele Zurlo's Reviews > Sting

Sting by Deborah Wilde

bookshelves: chick-lit, erotic-romance, paranormal

Once in a while a series comes along that makes you drop everything you're doing and lose yourself in that world. Then you want to stalk the author to make sure she's working on your next fix. The Nava Katz series is this drug for me.

Things I loved:
1. Nava--or Lolita, as she's going by in this one. She's the badass heroine I want to meet in all my fiction. She has a past, and pain gives her depth. She's the kind of person to whom everyone can relate on some level.
2. Chemistry. Wilde has a knack for kicking the reader in the ovaries even while titillating us with hot sex scenes. I love erotic romance where the hot scenes contribute to the character's growth. Now, I'm not going to give any spoilers away, but I almost cried during that last one, and I'm not one of those people who gets emotional while reading.
3. Rohan. The way Wilde writes the hero underscores the sanity in Nava's insanity. If I was emotionally scarred like her, I'd definitely put concrete boundaries between Ro and me. Yet he's not an asshole--more like a combination of clueless, lost, and uncertain how to handle Nava. I've been waiting two books for the ending of this one!
4. Always leave them wanting more. Wilde is gifted this way. I've loved both books in this series so far, and both times I've been both fulfilled and left wanting more.
5. Influences. Every great heroine and writer who has resonated with me is represented here in some way, the most obvious being Buffy/Whedon, though I see more Faith in her than Buffy.
6. Plot. The mission they went on to take down Samson was brilliantly designed to strip Nava bare and reveal every vulnerability and insecurity. Since this does not kill her, it leaves no choice but to make her stronger.

Things I disliked:
1. Nothing. I loved the characters, the heat, the mind-fuck of a plot--everything. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Notes for the future:
Rohan's POV? Spinoff stories from the POV of Ari, Kane, Drio, Leo--ROHAN??? How about more female Rasha?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sting.

April 9, 2017 – Shelved