KC's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Apr 07, 2008

bookshelves: adventure, boarding-school, coming-of-age, 2011, ya, 2013
Read from February 25 to March 12, 2013 , read count: 3

Re-reading this. Fun fact: I named my cat after Alaska, because she's so good at hiding.

Okay, five stars for the first half, and four for the second. Honestly, I kind of want a sequel, but I know that's pretty much impossible. I'd like to see more of Lara's character.

2013

I've re-read all of Green's solo novels in the past seven months, and I've come to the conclusion that TFiOS trumps LfA. Sorry. Miles seems to have lost his depth in my eyes. Still think this book is better than pretty much all other YA.

Oh, and when the cop mentions the college brochures in Alaska's car? She totally had one for Kenyon in there.

Also, a Hollis and sisters named Ruth and Margot? C'mon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes KC Liked

John Green
“Francois Rabelais. He was a poet. And his last words were "I go to seek a Great Perhaps." That's why I'm going. So I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking a Great Perhaps.”

John Green
“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”

John Green
“What is an "instant" death anyway? How long is an instant? Is it one second? Ten? The pain of those seconds must have been awful as her heart burst and her lungs collapsed and there was no air and no blood to her brain and only raw panic. What the hell is instant? Nothing is instant. Instant rice takes five minutes, instant pudding an hour. I doubt that an instant of blinding pain feels particularly instantaneous.”

John Green
“There are times when it is appropriate, even preferable, to get an erection when someone's face is in close proximity to your penis.

This was not one of those times.”

John Green
“She's cute, I thought, but you don't need to like a girl who treats you like you're ten: You've already got a mom.”

03/08/2013 page 54