Sherida Stewart's Reviews > A Rose So Fair

A Rose So Fair by Myra Johnson

Apr 09, 2017

Read 2 times. Last read April 8, 2017.

A Rose So Fair is a gripping and heart-touching story!

This book truly brings to life the difficult days of the Great Depression, where daunting problems arose to test people's fortitude, but also helped reveal the strength of faith and the ability to overcome trials with the help of others.

I admired Rose Linwood with her fierce loyalty to her grandfather's farm and the dream she shared with him. She singlehandedly struggles to raise a cotton crop in order to satisfy the requirements of the leased property. Caleb Weiland is a great protective and persistent hero. He is torn between his financial responsibilities and his desire to have his love accepted by Rose. Both of them go through extremely difficult situations. I wasn't sure how their differences and problems could be resolved since they were both such strong people, but after many emotional hills and valleys, the end is beautiful...sweet and satisfying.

I also enjoyed the other members of the family, including the two older sisters whose earlier stories evolve in this third book. Both drifter Quimby and the stray dog, Delano, add to the impact of the book. All the folks of Eden, Arkansas, felt so real.

The romantic tension is sweet, the thread of faith is comforting, and the message is thoughtful. With friends and family, along with trust in God, we are stronger together. I deeply enjoyed this book with its portrayal of life in the 1930's with love, faith, and strength overcoming difficulties. I highly recommend A Rose So Fair.

Favorite quotes:
"No matter how far away they send me, you'll always have my heart."
"God doesn't want or expect us to carry our burdens alone."
She said it reminded her nobody's perfect, and that loving someone takes a whole heap of forgiveness.

*I was given a copy of this book with no requirement to write a positive review. I'm honored to offer my honest opinion of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose So Fair.

Finished Reading