tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > The Sleepwalkers: A History of Man's Changing Vision of the Universe

The Sleepwalkers by Arthur Koestler

bookshelves: astronomy

I think I read 2 of Koestler's bks. This must've been one of them b/c I remember the subject matter but I reckon it's possible that there's another Koestler bk w/ a long section on Kepler (as this one has). Anyway, in some respects, this must've been an important bk to me b/c it wd've been one of the 1st I wd've read on 'heretics' - ie: people persecuted by Christian Gangstas for having a mind & using it for something other than Christian hegemony. Alas, this is the only bk I've read in my astronomy section. Obviously, I 'need' to catch up on the subject! But, then, who can see the stars anymore? I live in the city.

Strangely, I don't remember being that impressed w/ this. Maybe it was too drily scientific for me. Maybe I just didn't get it. In retrospect it seems like a fascinating subject. Then, though, I was more interested in art & literature - so it's probably remarkable that I slogged thru a 600+ page bk of this nature. Looking at it now I realize I shd add it to the read-again-if you-discover-you're-immortal category.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleepwalkers.

Started Reading
January 1, 1977 – Finished Reading
April 7, 2008 – Shelved
April 7, 2008 – Shelved as: astronomy

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Howard Have you discovered yet?

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE Christopher wrote: "Have you discovered yet?" Nope. My mortality looms more & more every day. Unlike most people, though, I'm not particularly bothered by it.