Claire Beresford's Reviews > Practical Magic

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Aug 09, 2011

bookshelves: screen-stage, magical-life

For the first time ever in the world of book to film I thought the film was much better. I liked the nice aunts and the fact that Sally and Gillian stayed in their home town. However, without comparing it to the film, it was an enjoyable read; great depth that the film did not give. It was presented from all sides, including the new generation in Sally's children, this gives you an inside scoop to everyone's thoughts and actions. I believe the characters gets a little boring in the middle of the book, you find yourself just reading to make it through to the good stuff near the end. The film combats this well by keeping the main focus on the character Jimmy throughout. The main aspects are there, Hoffman describes everything beautifully, you believe you can feel the sun on your skin and smell the lilacs at the bottom of that garden. A great read but if you have seen the film be careful, as this doesn't compare. Whether I would have thought it was much better if I hadn't of seen the film first would be be an interesting situation, but one we will never witness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Practical Magic.

01/05/2017 marked as: read