tartaruga fechada's Reviews > Tales of Two Cities: The Best and Worst of Times In Today's New York

Tales of Two Cities by John   Freeman

** spoiler alert ** "The care that often may mean the difference between a child who can speak and one who cannot is meted out not according to need, or even zip code, but according to which parents have the resources -- money, and perhaps just as important, time ..."

"The best it's possible to do, ethically, is to give to the limits of what we can without causing ourselves so much pain that we disintegrate. Those limits are always inadequate, but they're the only thing that matters, and fuck anyone forever who attempts to withhold even that bare minimum of human connection."

"Suddenly one of the passengers behind me spoke up. 'I'm sorry if this is offensive, but I don't understand that at all,' he said. 'I'd sooner wash dishes than not have a job.' And I sat there and I didn't say anything. But in my heart of hearts I wanted to. I wanted to tell him that not everyone has that choice, or is given choices. I wanted to tell him that not everyone was like him -- white, male, born into means and privilege -- and that there are those out there for whom the whole fucking world isn't pre-configured. I wanted to tell him. I wanted to wring his goddamn neck."

"Silence, a certain form of silence, is like a slow fire. If it is not stopped, it expands and scorches everything around it ...
But she migrated to the United States in 2005. That was around when the decapitations began -- in Mexico, this time. The Mexican government opened fire against the drug lords, the drug lords answered back with thousands of bodies, and heads, and noise -- so much noise. In the USA, a few years later, the massive deportations began. There have been more than two million deportations since 2008 -- and most have gone by in silence."

"The line is 'the quietude of resolve layered over fear.' Selzer is describing the instance before a surgeon cuts into the body of the person lying beneath his scalpel. But he could be describing the way that illegals cross the border, and the way they wake up every morning to face another day of work: the quietude of resolve layered over fear."

"Malcolm X shared with Zapata the idea that land was the basis of independence. In his 1963 speech, "Message to Grassroots," Malcolm X demanded land for a nation, an independent nation. Zapata, in 1911, had proclaimed the "Plan de Ayala," which demanded that land be seized from landowners and redistributed among Mexican peasants. It has always been about land; it always will be."

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of Two Cities.

April 8, 2017 – Started Reading