Lucy's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Aug 09, 2011

bookshelves: death-dying-grieving, books-about-books
Read from January 10 to 13, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars is a book I heard about last summer, when John Green promised to sign all 150,000 copies of the first printing. I preordered the book, and once it arrived I couldn’t put it down. Despite my uneasiness of reading another book about cancer I ended up thoroughly absorbed in the story. Even though I haven’t read all of John Green’s books (yet), I can’t imagine they get any better than this.

It’s the nature of a book like this to worry about the fate of the main character as you turn every page. And yes, I grew very attached to these characters and thoroughly invested in the story so I worried about what was going to happen. But, the story gave me much to think about along the way about appreciating life, love and relationships, and became a bigger and even more emotional story than I was expecting.

Hazel and Augustus are so smart, likable and brave. John Green does an excellent job with writing both characters and their complexities, sense of humor and vulnerabilities. I appreciated all the funny and tender moments along the way on their journey, and felt their joy and pain along with them. Prepare for laughs and tears throughout the book.

The Fault in Our Stars is a touching and thoughtful contemporary read that will stay with me for a long time. This book packs an emotional punch and left me wordless, and it’s sure to be one of my favorite books of the year.

01/12/2012 page 136
05/30/2016 marked as: read

Arlene So glad you loved it too Lucy. I was afraid of the sad factor with this book, but I fell hard for Gus and Hazel and I'm so glad I read their story. Beautiful review. :)