YouKneeK's Reviews > Going Postal

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: completed-series, fantasy

Going Postal is the first book in the Moist von Lipwig subseries of Discworld, which is also associated with the Industrial Revolution subseries. In the case of this book, it’s maybe a little more of an “Industrial Counterrevolution”.

The post office in Ankh-Morpork has effectively been out of commission for a while, with tons of undelivered letters sitting around. Meanwhile, over the past several books, we’ve seen the development of a faster and more efficient method of communication called the “Clacks”. However, lately there have been issues with the Clacks -- mismanagement, downtime, and maybe even murders.

The main character, Moist von Lipwig, was a fun character of the “lovable rogue” archetype. I wasn’t too sure about him at first, but he grew on me as the book went on. Vetinari also had some good moments in this book. The story itself held my interest really well. In fact, I think this may be the first Discworld book for which I actually stayed up a few minutes past my bedtime one night because I wanted to know what would happen next. I only stayed up about 15 minutes late, but I take my bedtime very seriously so this isn’t a common occurrence for me. :)

I enjoyed the ending, and I particularly liked the choices Moist made it the end. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Postal.

April 8, 2017 – Started Reading
April 8, 2017 – Shelved
April 8, 2017 – Shelved as: completed-series
April 8, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

IMOreader12354 Oy yi yo i love this book . Eh, do u know that i am running my own novelty theatre? Some of my guests say: Eh, can u do more better? The rest say:I dont like them, i love them!

IMOreader12354 vo nt np fresnois voju~

IMOreader12354 that was cf good book idk!

IMOreader12354 as u widh, sire PVP