Carol's Reviews > _Shift

_Shift by Brian Q. Webb

If you were to ask me Star Wars or Star Trek, I would have to respond with a puzzled look. A fan of science fiction I am not. I prefer books that delve into the subtleties of human emotion.

That said, Shift is a very good read. The author happens to be a friend of mine, which makes it an even better read. This fast-paced adventure takes place in the present, starting off with a Taiwan born female scientist protagonist who heads off to a mysterious interview for Wired magazine, accompanied by her photographer/bodyguard. Mr. Webb paves the way forward with scientific and statistical nuggets of information which are enjoyably interesting and render the story believable, even as the two protagonists head out first to a rogue government research lab in Nevada, and then on into a parallel dimension.

The author is quirky, and there is an endless stream of inside jokes and bickering between the characters that I assume must be hilarious to sci fi readers, but went completely over my head. Is Mr. Webb poking fun at himself when his two characters have a vulnerable moment and confess their shared devotion to Star Trek? Was the reader expected to feel breathlessly moved, or to giggle as I did?

The end of the book makes it pretty clear that there is going to be a sequel. Although there are some awkward plot details, the book is absolutely fun to read. I particularly liked the descriptions of the inhabitants of the Shift dimension and the dramatic ending. I am looking forward to more geeky adventures!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read _Shift.

April 8, 2017 – Started Reading