Jason Dimmick's Reviews > Firefight

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

62720712

After reading Steelheart (book 1 of The Reckoners series) I couldn't wait to dive into book two...so I didn't. As soon as I finished Steelheart I immediatly went and downloaded Firefight (book 2 of said series) and started right after it. Brandon Sanderson takes the world he built in the first book and builds on it further by taking us to a new city with a few new characters.

First off, I want to get my negatives done with cause they are small. The one thing that keep me from giving Steelheart a five star was how David (the main character and who's point of view the entire book is from) would repeat the same information over again, at times near word for word, withing just chapters. I found this very annoying and some of that has carried over to this book as well, how be it not as bad.

Another thing I was disappointed with was some of the characters you grow to love in the first book were not in this one. I missed Abraham and Cody and their banter. That being said the way the plot twists at the end I have a good feeling I know why this was done. Brandon Sanderson was able to make the twist far more dramatic without "endangering" loved characters. So as not to spoil anything I'll leave it at that. With that being said the new characters we are introduced to are very well done and you connect with them just as much as the characters from the first book.
This time the struggle of humans versus epics move from New Chago (formaly Chicago) to the once Manhattan now called New Babylon or Babalar as it's called as well. This pits the reckoners up against a new high epic Abagale. Of course with new epics comes new powers to overcome and we see some very "fun" scenes because of this. There is just so many good things about this book that I feel like it would take a book...or at least a novella...to go over them all. This book far surpasses the first in every way and it actually made me long to be at work so I could keep listening to it.

Firefight takes everything that the first book built and amps it up to new levels as David and the rest of the reckoners, not only set out to liberate another city from the tyrannical rule of the cruel epics, but to find out what gives epics thier abilities and, for David's own intentions, if it's possible to find a way for epics to control the darkness that comes with thier abilitlies. Do not miss out on this continuation of a grand adventure that keeps you on the edge of your set. Brandon Sanderson is a master at storytelling and it shows in this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefight.

April 8, 2017 – Started Reading