Saly's Reviews > Heart of Fire

Heart of Fire by Linda Howard

3192922

Recommended to Saly by: Dina

The beauty of old LH heroes are that they start of as jerks, with the only thing on their mind being sex and the heroine usually not being their type, but as the book progresses not only do they start noticing the heroine too much besides wanting them in bed, by the end of they don't want to be away from them and Hearts of Fire is no less and is set in the Amazon.

The hero Ben Lewis is an Alabama boy but he's been in Brazil since he was 20, working as a guide. He likes his life, drinking, blowing off steam after doing some guide work with a busty waitress, so when a shady guy he knows along with another guy offers him a lot of money for some guide work he agrees, he likes money but he is going to be careful.

Jillian Sherwood is an archaeologist, just like her dad but she is frustrated since no-one takes her seriously because of her father, a man who believed or atleast chased a lot of legends and even died in the Amazon while trying to find a lost city which he believed housed Amazon warriors. Jillian always loved her father, her step-brother not so much, so she goes to see his stuff years after his death and finds proof that her father knew what he was doing. In her excitement she blurts out the truth (a part of it) to her brother Rick and later on also that she can't find backers. Rick brings a man along to finance their trip, Jillian goes along not trusting the two but still wanting to prove her father right.

I liked Jillian she was ballsy and gutsy, she knew how to carry her weight and protect herself(bought a gun) and the first time she meets Ben when he deliberately tries to be crude she leaves him feeling foolish.

Once their trip begins there is danger but Ben tries to keep Jillian close a) he wants to get into her pants bad b) he knows the others have plans.

It was fascinating seeing Ben's frustration when Jillian refused to just fall into his plans even when he constantly tried to invoke the chemistry between them and Jillian knew how to rile him good.

Linda Howard's best books have this earthly sensuality and this one is no less. Ben starts of lusting after her and later he just wants to keep her. I enjoyed the book a lot, though Ben did add thick at one part but makes up nicely for it at the end with a grand gesture.

A quote
She didn't want him to be sweet; she wanted him to be the Ben Lewis she was accustomed to: shameless, raunchy, and reckless. Brave, too, she mentally added, to give the devil his due. Intimidatingly capable. Dangerous. Ruthless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Fire.

Started Reading
August 9, 2011 – Shelved
August 9, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Zeek Excellent review! This was my first LH back in the day- LOVED IT- I proceeded to find her backlist then autobuy every new release... until Cover of Night. After that is was all down hill for me.

Saly Zeek I started with the Mackenzies, I tried her new Death Angel and didn't like it at all after that I have stuck to reading her old one's. She had such awesome books, didn't she? I even loved After the Night despite the hero being a major jerk that's how good her old stuff was.

message 3: by Zeek (last edited Aug 09, 2011 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek I loved After the Night too- people really had issues with Gray but that porch scene?! whooooeee.

Same with Shades Of Twilight. (People had issues with the hillbilly relationships going on. Everyone kept sayin the H/h were related but I was like- huh? no they werent- not blood related! I guess the related by marriage thing was too much for them. Ok yeah that's sorta hillbilly but whatever, they were hot together! ha!)

I also count Son of the Morning as one of my all time favorite reads and many people didnt like it either because its so hard to nail down (is it a hist/rom? a time travel? a paranormal? a rom/suspense?? the answer is YES!) and the H/h dont even meet physically till halfway thru the book! Still- when they do meet- ::fan self::.

Yeah. Still a fangirl with her old stuff. :D

Marty Not only was this my first Linda Howard book, but also one of the very first romances I read... Loooovve most of her old stuff, but I'm also not impressed with her latest ones. I think my favorite is "Mr. Perfect". Have you read that one, Saly?

MelissaB Son of the Morning didn't have enough romance for me but it was a good story.

Love the crazy sexual tension in After the Night, Gray grows on you after awhile.

I need to reread Shades of Twilight, I barely remember it besides the incest part, only that the h was kind of spineless at first.

But I love many older LH books!

message 6: by Zeek (last edited Aug 09, 2011 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek Melly B- you mean between the bad guys? Is that what bothers people? I always assumed when people threw out the incest card they were insinuating between the H/h! haha! I'm sucha dork. yes girl and her daddy villains! forgot about those jokers! but they didnt bother me because they were bad guys- they're supposed to do eeeeevil things!

Zeek but everyone has their squikometer.

Mine was pinged on this book- Wolf Tales I. ::shudder::

MelissaB Zeek wrote: "Melly B- you mean between the bad guys? Is that what bothers people? I always assumed when people threw out the incest card they were insinuating between the H/h! haha! I'm sucha dork. yes girl..."

Well it won't keep me from reading it but I think that is the part people refer to. It is squicky.

The cousins thing isn't too bad for me, as long as it's not real close cousins.

message 9: by Zeek (last edited Aug 09, 2011 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek Wait- I thought it was a cousin by marriage??? ugh. whatever. I musta made it right in my head- I'll just keep believing that! ha!

MelissaB Zeek wrote: "Wait- I thought it was a cousin by marriage??? ugh. whatever. I musta made it right in my head- I'll just keep believing that! ha!"

I have no idea if they were cousins by marriage. I don't remember the book, I read it over 10 years ago. I meant distant cousins wouldn't freak me out.

message 11: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek LMAO! ok ok- I was just thinking "out loud" anyway. :P

message 12: by Saly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly Zeek wrote I loved After the Night too- people really had issues with Gray but that porch scene?! whooooeee.
I know the book had some really hot scenes going for it, that bathroom scene was awesome.
Haven't read Shades Of Twilight and Son of the Morning, will read them. I try to space her books out since her old one's are awesome. I read Dream Man and Medina books last year, I gotta read these two and her Kell Sabin books now I guess.

Marty wrote Not only was this my first Linda Howard book, but also one of the very first romances I read... Loooovve most of her old stuff, but I'm also not impressed with her latest ones. I think my favorite is "Mr. Perfect". Have you read that one, Saly?

Marty haven't read that one, in my tbr, will get to it soon. I have even heard good stuff about Open Season(hope the name is right?)

MelissaB I have gotta read Shades of Twilight now since it seems to start a lot of discussion.

LOve the LH love guys :)

message 13: by Zeek (last edited Aug 09, 2011 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek Mr Perfect- very good! Open Season was good too but- not quite up to earlier ones- one of the last ones before she started changing.

Dream Man- yum DANE! John Medina? ::swoon::, Kell Sabin books were formerly Category so they're shorter (like the mackenzie books), but I still re-read them often. Especially White Lies & Diamond Bay (Major comfort read for me!)

Another hero people have issues with is Robert in Loving Evangeline- the guy was a indeed control freak but when he lets go at the end? grrrrrr

message 14: by Saly (last edited Aug 09, 2011 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly Zeek Dream Man is awesome and I really enjoyed Duncan's Bride and Loving Evangeline. Robert was a control freak but as you said when he let's go :D

Oh goodie , I am thinking of diving straight into her Kell Sabin books now, they are just so great, none of the newer books can capture the sensuality of her heroes and I like how they aren't always flowery and PC in voicing what the want, kind of like real guy talk.

message 15: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek yep! Cant wait to hear what you think of Diamond Bay- Kell ::sigh::

MelissaB I just reread the Kell Sabin books - some of my favs. Midnight Rainbow and Diamond Bay were just rereleased in one volume as Trouble. I really like White Lies too.

Other goodies are: Open Season, Mr. Perfect, Dream Man, Kill and Tell, Mackenzies, Now You See Her

message 17: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek Agreed with all those Melly!

MelissaB I have been on a LH reread tear recently

message 19: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek I go back to her often- when i need a quick read that's a sure thing. hey, if i wait long enough between re-reads it feels new again!

message 20: by Saly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly Zeek and Melissa I will get back to you guys after I manage to squeeze in these books.

message 21: by Mareli (new)

Mareli Lida Howard wrote some amazing books. She's one of my favourite author and one I have to read over and over. After the night and Shades of Twilight are wonderful but I liked very much both Mckenzies and Kell Sabin series. She kept an high writing style for several books, but I don't like her new ones so much. (Maybe it's because I'm not into paranormal).

AgentScully Great review Saly! I just read this one 2 weeks ago and it jumped to my top 5 LH books. I think my 1st LH was Duncan's Bride IIRC. I liked Loving Evangeline too, altho' the hero was not the greatest.

AgentScully MelissaB wrote: "I just reread the Kell Sabin books - some of my favs. Midnight Rainbow and Diamond Bay were just rereleased in one volume as Trouble. I really like White Lies too.

Other goodies are: Open Season, Mr. Perfect, ..."

I really hope they re-release White Lies too. I'll definitely snatch up a copy for the keeper shelf.

Mr Perfect is in my TBR too, forget about that one.

message 24: by Saly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly Mareli and Scully she seems to be universally loved :)

message 25: by Mareli (new)

Mareli AgentScully wrote:...I think my 1st LH was Duncan's Bride IIRC. I liked Loving Evangeline too, altho' the hero was not the greatest.

my, my Duncan's Bride is my favourite LH's book, too. It has the sassiest (?) heroine I ever read! I don't know how many times I read that book!

I read all her books until Mr Perfect, in chronological order and there are really few of them I didn't like it. I think I consumed pages on Mackenzies series ;)