Rachel's Reviews > Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board

Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton

it was ok

SUMMARY
Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board by Bethany Hamilton tells the story of a girl who is pursuing a career as a pro-surfer. Then one morning, while out surfing with some friends, her plans are altered when she is attacked by a shark that bites off her left arm. This book tells the story of her recovery and journey to begin surfing again.

REVIEW
I saw the movie a few years ago and I really liked it. I was intrigued by Hamilton's story and so this book looked interesting. But unfortunately, I was wrong. I really couldn't wait to be finished with it, but I just couldn't get myself to continue reading it, which is why it took me so long.

My main three issues with the book were:

1) It was not very well organized. The actual shark attack was mentioned very early on and by the end of the book, it really didn't even seem like it was the main point of the story anymore. Hamilton also included a lot of extra information that I didn't feel was necessary such as her parents' backgrounds, an entire chapter dedicated to surfing terms, and a huge part at the end that is dedicated to the movie that was made about her life.

2) It seemed to me as if Hamilton glossed over a lot of the actual recovery and struggles that she must have gone through when losing her arm. I just felt like most of us would have been in a much darker place than she seemed to be if we were in her situation. I'm not saying that it was easy for her, I'm just saying that she didn't include it in her book, which would have been nice.

3) There was way too much talk about God and her faith for my taste. I can appreciate that her faith is a huge part of her life and what helped her through this tragedy, which is fine, but after a while, it was very preachy and down right annoying at times.

I definitely recommend the movie, but the book? Not so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Surfer.

April 7, 2017 – Started Reading