Stephan 's Reviews > Blindness

Blindness by José Saramago

48197248

bookshelves: favorites, special

This is not just a book you read, it reads you too. It is not a book that you can shelve, once it is read - it stays with you. Will you dare pick it up, let it stare into your soul?

I read this over 10 years ago and it is still very present in my mind. It has repeatedly come back to me, I have been recommending it and thinking about it. Yes, also worrying a bit more.

Without spoiling it the story is quickly told: blindness spreads like a disease. It is terrifying in that it just happens, suddenly life is very very different. Also it doesn't only happen to you, it happens to others. As more go blind, more must deal with life without seeing. It gets very very nasty very quick.

The next remarkable attribute of this book is the way it is told. People don't have names, they are only described. The mother, the wife, the doctor. Sentences unfold and meander, flow long and wash your awareness with them. Saramago's chosen style builds the engrossing atmosphere. Just for this I wish I could read the original Spanish.

This book is among the greatest for me. Special among the few. Read it, if you dare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blindness.

Started Reading
January 1, 2002 – Finished Reading
April 7, 2017 – Shelved
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: special

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Stephan Ooh, Juniper, thats wonderful. I immediately went and picked it up just now :) Can you tell me something about his other books that stand out to you?

Lotte Kristensen (MyMostFavouritePeopleAreBooks) On my to-read list now, thanks for another great suggestion!

Stephan CharlotteK wrote: "On my to-read list now, thanks for another great suggestion!"

I'm happy to hear! On one side I'm sorry to increase your TBR, on the other side I have to say it IS an awesome book :)

How is your reading treating you currently?

Stephan Juniper Green wrote: "... a bit less fond of his examinations of religion, like Caim or The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, but that's probably just personal preference.
"

Interesting, I'll go for the other ones first. How does he approach religion? I am completely unreligious myself - to put it that way. Would that mean they just wouldn't touch me?

The bad part about him writing in Spanish is that my grip on the language is far too bad to read in it, the good is that I can choose to read it in English or German. What do you prefer in this case?

Stephan Thanks for the feedback, it's good to get insights from a person that knows an author already :)

message 6: by Mischenko (new) - added it

Mischenko Nice review, Stephan! On my TBR. :)

Stephan Thanks Mischenko, that's great! Some books are more special than others and it feels great when friends read them too :)

message 8: by Mischenko (new) - added it