Lia 's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

it was ok
bookshelves: royal-binches, high-dark-epic-fantasy, swords-and-warriors

This is going to be a rather personal review because Throne of Glass took away a week of my life and my SJM virginity.
I wish I’d let it wine and dine me, first.
At least, I’d still have the good memory of a nice six course dinner.

It’s not like I have a problem with this book, but…I do have a problem with this book.
A couple, actually, and they mainly involve the writing and a certain main character which I won't name for now.
Now, before I start, I must say that I’ve been forewarned by a lot of readers that this is probably the weakest book in the series and that the writing is a bit quirky, because at the time, the author was young and (I suppose) unexperienced. I can see that. I actually could see a writing style development between the first and the second half of the book.
This to say that, since from the beginning, I didn’t expect much.
But since I’m here do discuss books and not to dig into the author’s background, I’ll admit I’m not a huge fan of the writing. Too many exclamation points!!!!!! too much self-indulgence in the characters descriptions and actions, and, definitely, too much walking around the edges.
Sometimes I like it when a book shows its contents rather than shoving them explicitly into the writing as to say “hey, here’s how you’re suppose to interpret said emotion and fact”, and so on.
I don't like that, nuh-uh.
Plus, most of the time, it really looked and felt like a thirteen-year-old fangirl wrote a fanfiction based on scratches of books she's seen her big sister read.
The plot is not bad. There’s magic and princes and the right amount of stabby-stabbing.
Not bad, but not breath-taking, either. I'm not giving up, though, because I trust my fellow readers and I believe it when they say it's gonna get better.
Well,
giphy3c72d1cdd5a1691d.gif

Now, another thing that threw me almost completely off the Throne of Glass Train, was the main character, Celeana Sardothien.
Oh, boy. I had such a hard time with this one.
Not only I didn't connect with her and her way of thinking before the very last chapters, she's also made it into my Top 3 of most annoying characters thanks to her immaturity.
I think only America Singer from The Selection and Zoey Redbird from Marked could top that, and this is saying a lot.
She’s like that popular chick in high school who thinks she’s head and shoulders above the others. She’s like Regina George with daggers and an even snarkier holier-than-thou attitude.
Basically Celeana in every single line ever:
BIGDEAL400.gif
For someone who's supposed to be a deadly assassin, she's pretty weak and dull. I get it that she's a girl who likes being pretty and wearing nice clothes and dating hot boys (I actually love it when a female character can be girly and badass at the same time), but she's just so narcissistic and stubborn, she never (or rarely) speaks without thinking first, that you can't help but put aside her best sides and focus on the tooth-cringing ones. Sometimes, she really lacks tact, not to mention good manners, and, for the most part, she walks around feeling like she invented the concept of being a badass. I’ve got news for you, Cece. You still have a lot of road ahead.
So flipping frustrating.
Sure, she had her good moments, I actually appreciated her spirit and braveness in many occasions, but they were rare and ephemeral enough that they couldn’t have overcome the flaws even if Batman himself joined the collab.
I really hope she’ll redeem herself, or at least, grow some sense into that little superiority complex-affected brain of hers.
To be completely honest, sometimes I even enjoyed this book, but I couldn't help but notice they were chapters or paragraphs in which Celeana was silent or absent or too busy fighting for her freedom to care about other stuff.
Ahem, I'll leave the math to you, peeps.

Bless the multi-pov option! I really didn’t mind at all those Dorian or Chaol chapters.
And, yes, feel free to read this as: I really didn’t mind Dorian nor Chaol.

Which brings us to the romance side.
Guess what? There was a love triangle! *fakes shock* I know.
So. Original. And. Unexpected.
giphy-287913dcca7d3412e.gif
Even if Huey, Dewey, and Louie engaged in some sort of inevitable, twisted and confused love triangle, which I’ll never be a fan of, I still couldn’t care enough to let it bother me. Just give me some substance, I don’t care who sucks whose face.
Now, at the question, do you ship Celeana with Dorian or Chaol, I'll reply: WHAT EVEN IS SHIPPING ANYMORE.
Since, y'know, I think it'd too much to hope Dorian and Chaol will both dump Sardothien, grab a dozen puppies each, and ride their way into the sunset, together.

The other characters didn’t really convince me that much (although no one got nearly on my nerves as Miss Main Character did), I felt like there could have been more work behind, just like the whole story didn’t exactly engage me from start to end for the very same reason.
You can tell someone didn't really do their best at researching. The setting and the way all characters behave could have been a little more authentic, and, holy crow, the ooc-ism was too much, even for a mediocre book.
Still, I think after a good 60%, both the writing and the plot really improve right before my eyes.
I’m convinced, maybe, I would have loved this book better if I read it when it first came out.
I have too high standards now. really, it's like a curse.

I’ve never really followed SJM but I feel like I should give her another chance (brain screaming: I WANT MORE DORIAN AND CHAOL). I’ll try not to let it influence negatively my coming judgment and consider this book an isolated case, and also this series’ chance to prove how sometimes books can upgrade in reverse, and put some more hopes into Crown of Midnight.
Until then, two and a half stars are more than enough.

ACTUAL RATINGS 2.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

April 7, 2017 – Shelved
April 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 29, 2017 – Started Reading
November 29, 2017 –
page 34
8.42% "Is it weird that I already like Dorian?!
tenor-1beb4152067c5b3aa.gif "
November 30, 2017 –
page 64
15.84% "at the risk of incurring everyone's wrath, I must admit I'm not a huge celeana fan so far :/"
December 1, 2017 –
page 96
23.76% ""If I have to call myself a jewel thief again—”
Chaol raised his brows. “You’ll do what, exactly?”
“Do you know how insulting it is to pretend to be some nobody thief from a small city in Fenharrow?”
He stared her down, quiet for a moment. “Are you that arrogant?”

Thank you, Chaol, for calling out Ms Too-Good-For-You."
page 130
32.18% "Why I am finding it so hard to get into this book
giphy-31d9f32862fb278ca.gif "
page 154
38.12% "I think I'd like this book ten times better if there were only more chapters about Dorian and his puppies"
page 188
46.53% "Not gonna lie, those last two chapters were almost entertaining. Please, almighty god of everything paper and prints, let it last."
December 6, 2017 –
page 215
53.22% "The inevitable has come
tumblr_og8otvCce81uk5vmso3_400_zpszzr2zea9.gif "
December 7, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 15, 2018 – Shelved as: royal-binches
February 15, 2018 – Shelved as: high-dark-epic-fantasy
October 29, 2018 – Shelved as: swords-and-warriors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)

Nikki I’m excited to see what you think 😊

Lia Nikki wrote: "I’m excited to see what you think 😊"

Awww I hope I'll like it! 😃👍🏻

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Yay!!! I'm so curious if you'll like it! XD

Lia Virginia Ronan wrote: "Yay!!! I'm so curious if you'll like it! XD"

Ghsgshsgsgshsg I'm excited 😱😁

Elisa The first two are my faves of the series! I hope you like it.

Kelly Yay, SJM is one of my favourite authors. Excited to know if you'll like it. :)

Lia Kelly wrote: "Yay, SJM is one of my favourite authors. Excited to know if you'll like it. :)"

Elisa (Bookish Expat) wrote: "The first two are my faves of the series! I hope you like it."

Thank you so much, girls! I'm liking it so far 😁

message 8: by Swaye (new)

Swaye Oh sweet lawd. You're actually doing it. 😮 I actually want to read this one too. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it. 😚😚😚

message 9: by Rae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rae This is awesome news!!! Congrats!!! I hope you loveeee it!!!

Warda OMG YES!!!! HOPE YOU BECOME JUST AS OBSESSED! :D

Yuvika, Yes finally! Can't promise you that it won't cause you pain, but it is SO worth it! Hope you looove this Lia!

message 12: by Cyn | READ? (new) - added it

Cyn | READ? wish i stayed a sjm virgin enjoy!

Claire Yay - welcome to the club!!! Hope you enjoy 😉

message 14: by Swaye (new)

Swaye Cyn wrote: "wish i stayed a sjm virgin enjoy!"

LMAO Cyn. *whispers* me too. *cough*

Lia Swaye wrote: "Oh sweet lawd. You're actually doing it. 😮 I actually want to read this one too. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it. 😚😚😚"

I'll keep you updated 😉😚

Lia Rae wrote: "This is awesome news!!! Congrats!!! I hope you loveeee it!!!"

I hope so too😉

Lia Warda wrote: "OMG YES!!!! HOPE YOU BECOME JUST AS OBSESSED! :D"

AAAAAH SAMEEEEE😁

Lia Yuvika, wrote: "Yes finally! Can't promise you that it won't cause you pain, but it is SO worth it! Hope you looove this Lia!"

Thanks, darling! I heard that the sequels are even better 😮😁

Lia Cyn wrote: "wish i stayed a sjm virgin enjoy!"

Loooool thank you 😁

Lia Claire wrote: "Yay - welcome to the club!!! Hope you enjoy 😉"

Thanks, Claire! I hope so too😉😉

Lia Meghan wrote: "This is my favorite series ever. I hope you love it as much as I do! For me personally.. This series gets better with every book. But it also has a LOT of people that dont love it. Lol good luck Lia!"

Thank you, Meghan! I really hope I'll end up liking it as well :D

N (they/them) *loud cheers in background* I'm so excited to see what you're going to think of this! !

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Lia Nadia - Bookish Book Nerd wrote: "*loud cheers in background* I'm so excited to see what you're going to think of this! !"

AAAAAH, YAYYYYY! I'll keep you guys updated 😁

Lia BreezeBlowin'Free wrote: "congrats, but don't expect TOO much... I hope you like it anyway. it's a series I have so many memories with and I can't help loving it."

After the last disappointment that was the last book of the remnant chronicles, I learnt not to set my hopes too high😥 but I hope I'll get to like it too 😊

Lia Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ wrote: "yAS girl!"

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ Lia (razzle-dazzle) wrote: "Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ wrote: "yAS girl!"

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉"

You better love it OR WE CANT BE FRIENDS! Thought I should warn you!

Lia Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ wrote: "Lia (razzle-dazzle) wrote: "Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ wrote: "yAS girl!"

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉"

You better love it OR WE CANT BE FRIENDS! Thought I should warn you!"

Oh, I better like it then 😱

Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ Lia (razzle-dazzle) wrote: "Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ wrote: "Lia (razzle-dazzle) wrote: "Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ wrote: "yAS girl!"

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉"

You better love it OR WE CANT BE FRIENDS! Thought I sho..."

Girl, YOU BETTER!

message 31: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Anie (finals - 2months) Lol. This status XD Happy reading, Lia!

message 32: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose Who ho!!! Enjoy!!! Hope you love it as much as I do!!!

Lia Mel wrote: "Lol. This status XD Happy reading, Lia!"

Thanks Mel! :D

Lia Lexie wrote: "Who ho!!! Enjoy!!! Hope you love it as much as I do!!!"

Hope so too😊

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I dnfed the first book of the remnant chronicles I think bc I liked the prince and that Lia loved the assassin and she got on my nerves. I stopped when she was kidnapped by the prince, if I remember correctly?? does it get better?? should I pick it up again??

Lia BreezeBlowin'Free wrote: "I dnfed the first book of the remnant chronicles I think bc I liked the prince and that Lia loved the assassin and she got on my nerves. I stopped when she was kidnapped by the prince, if I remembe..."

I've always been a huge fan of the series but the last book threw me off the hype. Maybe give it another try when you're in the mood ^^

Abigail Nope! Although I personally liked Westfall better!

Lia Abigail wrote: "Nope! Although I personally liked Westfall better!"

I like him too, now 😂

Abigail 😂 I personally went back and forth the entire book. One part I am like team Westfall and another part I am like team Dorian and other parts I am like I honestly don't care who she ends up with!! :D But at the end I was 100% team Westfall.

message 40: by Cyn | READ? (new) - added it

Cyn | READ? lmao

Haley Bunker Woooo! I just read this last week! As much as I fell head over heels for her ACOTAR series, this wasn’t as mind blowing as I expected based on how everyone else seems to feel!

Lia Haley wrote: "Woooo! I just read this last week! As much as I fell head over heels for her ACOTAR series, this wasn’t as mind blowing as I expected based on how everyone else seems to feel!"

I'm having the same feeling, tho I don't mind the plot so far =) I think I'm going to start ACOTAR during holidays ^~^

Katherine welcome to hell

Kavita Kumar-Karthik OMG !! It felt good laughing out loud reading this update !! Thanks for that !

Lia Kavita wrote: "OMG !! It felt good laughing out loud reading this update !! Thanks for that !"

Glad to be of help ^^

Warda You're pretty much dead on with this review lol this books lacks a lot of everything. Just like you stated though, it is the weakest book. Think Crown of Midnight should redeem a lot of those issues more or less. :)

Lia Warda wrote: "You're pretty much dead on with this review lol this books lacks a lot of everything. Just like you stated though, it is the weakest book. Think Crown of Midnight should redeem a lot of those issue..."

So I heard ^^ That's why I'm trying not to let this one spoil the rest of the series for me ;D

Brex (Bookosaurus_Rex) Oh gosh I hated this book. And the self-indulgent, 13-year old writing vibe doesn't go away. I read A Court of Wings and Ruin a few months ago and gave it 1 star. It was horrid. I've literally read a better story by one of my 8-year-old students. No joke.

Lia Bookosaurus_Rex wrote: "Oh gosh I hated this book. And the self-indulgent, 13-year old writing vibe doesn't go away. I read A Court of Wings and Ruin a few months ago and gave it 1 star. It was horrid. I've literally read..."

Oh, boy, that does not sound positive! I hope your next reading went better! Also,I think I'll still give ACOMAF a chance when I can! Maybe I'll be luckier next time ;D

message 50: by A (new) - rated it 3 stars

A Albeirakdar The story will continue to feel as if a fan girl is writing fan fiction. In fact, in the fourth book, the author will tear down entire arcs to make her own ship sail.

As for Celaena, she’s actually at her best in this book, wait till you see her in book 4 onwards.

And for the writing, *whispers* it ain’t gonna get better. There’s a reason her books are getting bigger and bigger, and it’s not because of extra content. It’s mainly due to the fact that SJM likes repeating herself A LOT. And she makes two huge books each year for two different series, no wonder they sound almost identical at this point *facepalm*

« previous 1 3