Thebooktrail's Reviews > Gone: A Girl, a Violin, a Life Unstrung

Gone by Min Kym

bookshelves: based-on-true-facts, recommended

Visit the locations in the novel: Gone

This book sang to me – what a joy to read and an honour to be inside Min Kym’s world. Despite the relatively short length of the story, this is just the written story – like a page of written music is really an entire concerto. The story of Min Kym’s journey to the violin maestro she became is something to marvel at long after you’ve finished.
The writing is warm and friendly – I was Min Kym’s friend from the start. Her passion for music, for her violin stands out – it shines. But she is aware of her Korean background and the difficulties she and her family are going to go through so that she can find her rightful place in the world. At times this was so personal, I felt as if Min Kym was confessing this to me in whispers, pouring out her heart as to the journey she’s been on and the world of music she had now made her own.

Have you ever thought about child prodigies? What it means to actually be one? I was captivate and chilled as she poured out her most intimate thoughts, the day she played with Yehudi Menuhin (the only one of two times she doesn’t mind when someone takes her violin) and plays for her. The humour and self awareness of this young girl is amazing and she is humbled – as I was reading her words.

This story really is an amazing journey in every sense of the word. I used to play the violin myself and now marvel that Min Kym’s story is how that instrument can really sing if you are the one to teach it. A remarkable story which music lovers will connect with and readers of all kinds will rejoice at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

Started Reading
April 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 6, 2017 – Shelved
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: based-on-true-facts
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: recommended

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Hana Hawley I agree with you! I loved the poetry and passion in this book. From the first page I thought- this is a person I would want to befriend!