Johann (jobis89)'s Reviews > Sleeping Beauties

Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King

"Sometimes you get what you want, but mostly you get what you get."

A strange epidemic spreads across the world wherein once all the women fall asleep they become cocooned in an unusual waxy material. Disruption or tearing upon of this cocoon will cause the female inside to act in a homicidal manner. Sleeping Beauties focuses on the events occurring in a small town, Dooling, West Virginia, and in particular Clint and Lila Norcross, Clint being the psychiatrist in the local female prison, and Lila being the town's sheriff. One woman, however, seems to be the key to unravelling exactly what is going on...

I'm going to keep my review as spoiler-free as possible, as I know so many people are still reading it. So I'll just present some overall thoughts and opinions. Okay, so, I enjoyed this book, but it's not without its faults. Part 1 was brilliant, this idea presented by the Kings is so unique and interesting and to see how it all unfolds and the effect it has on the world, and in particular, in Dooling, is really exciting. Part 2, however... oh, it was a slog at times. It reminded me of my experience with The Stand where I just thought, "Oh get on with it!!!" I feel like this book could do with some characters being cut out and a number of pages trimmed off it.

Speaking of characters, there is a LOT in this book, but surprisingly I was able to keep up with who everyone was and how they were connected to each other etc. Sometimes I did have that split second of "Wait...who's this again?" but usually within reading a sentence or two I was back on track. So yeah, there isn't too many in terms of keeping up with the characters, but in my opinion, there were a few characters who I could just have done without. King is the King of character development and creating memorable characters that you just never forget - however, I think quite a lot of the ones in here are forgettable for me, apart from Evie and Lila. The rest, meh.

In terms of the collaboration between father and son, it was seamless to me, it didn't feel like it was splintered and all over the place as the voice switches from Owen to Stephen and back again. Of course, some parts felt distinctly Stephen, and others felt non-Stephen (I haven't read any of Owen's work beyond this so I can't comment on his writing style). The first half of the book felt like a Stephen King idea to me and a current-day King read, however the second half just lacked that punch that King usually delivers.

I guess my main complaint that is I didn't really FEEL anything reading this. I felt interested, sure, but I wasn't really expressing any emotions. Each and every character could have been killed off and I'd have been like *shrugs*. I did enjoy it overall, don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, a great premise, but the second half let me down and so I'd give this book 4 stars out of 5. Which perhaps seems high after all my complaining, but that first half of the book was SO good and I still found it hard to put the book down even when I got to the second half! Overall, a decent book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Beauties.

April 6, 2017 – Shelved
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 28, 2017 – Started Reading
September 28, 2017 –
page 69
9.61% "So far, so good!"
October 1, 2017 –
page 165
22.98% "Finding it hard to put down... I'm addicted."
October 4, 2017 –
page 371
51.67% "Just about to start part 2 and I’m hooked! Loving this book :)"
October 7, 2017 –
page 557
77.58% "Finding it hard to put down now..."
October 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sebastian (Polaris) You're done? Omg, you really read fast xD

Johann (jobis89) Sebastian (Polaris) wrote: "You're done? Omg, you really read fast xD"

Haha, I'm not that fast really!!

steph // bookplaits Wonderful review! I'm not a big fan of too many characters, nor characters you don't really feel anything for, so I'm interested to see how I get on with this one!

Johann (jobis89) Steph // bookplaits wrote: "Wonderful review! I'm not a big fan of too many characters, nor characters you don't really feel anything for, so I'm interested to see how I get on with this one!"

Yeah, I always feel like I need a character to root for. I guess I did root for one character, but I don't even think he was that likeable lol!

Emily Just finished the book, and I felt about the same way. I liked it, but it feels like something was missing.

Andrew Dubay Just finished it , I did it on audio and I think that helped with the characters ... but yea it’s not the best ... not the worst ... they had an interview at the end of the recording where Owen and Stephen were talking about how they would each write parts and leave spaces blank for the other to fill in ... and then during rewrites they re wrote each other work ... thus making it seamless