Jay's Reviews > The Story of the Stone

The Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart

Aug 09, 2011

I thought this book was every bit as good as the first one, which is saying a whole lot of wonderful things.

The characters, the setting, the little asides (I love little asides, especially when they turn out to be important), and the surprises that I should've seen coming -- that make sooo much sense once they've been explained -- all together make this such a great book. I still can't pick any other book or author and say "It's a lot like this," because it's not a lot like anything else.

"I've never read anything like that before" is about the highest praise I can offer any book, and I award that phrase here. The only book similar is the preceding book in the same series.

Having characters descend into a complex but illusory hell (that they know is illusory) to find out the answer to a question... this is the sort of thing that happens in Barry Hughart's books.

I've very sad that I've now read two of the three he published. I wish there were stacks and stacks of them still awaiting me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of the Stone.