Barbara➰'s Reviews > Wake Me Up Inside

Wake Me Up Inside by Cardeno C.

**3.5 Blondie and Pup Stars**

Zev and Jonah discovered each other when they were just babies. Zev always knew there was something special about Jonah. He felt this draw to him, like he was his mate. But his family and the pack said it wasn't possible for him to be gay, much less be mated to a human of all things. Jonah felt his own kind of draw to Zev. They are best friends in all ways. When Jonah final gets the courage to tell Zev how he feels, Zev discovers it is possible for him to be gay and have Jonah as his mate. But Jonah is going away to college.

This was a sweet mate story. I enjoyed it for the most part. I loved how they were drawn to each other so early and how they went through different periods in their life together. So why not rate it higher? First, there is a lot of sex. I'm all for that in my stories. I enjoy the sexy times and the love making between two individuals. But here, I think some pages could have been cut out by eliminating some of the sex scenes. They were at it ALL. THE. TIME.

Secondly...the cheating. And yes, it was cheating IMO. I hated it. BUT...I also understood it. Jonah had no idea what was happening to him. He was sick and left wanting by Zev. He couldn't understand why Zev wouldn't go all the way with him. I wish Zev had at least told him SOMETHING to ease his mind a little so he wouldn't have had to try with anyone else. Nothing happens, but still, he tried and I hate that. So, it did take away the enjoyment of them being true mates for me.

Overall, I enjoyed it and will continue on with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake Me Up Inside.

April 6, 2017 – Shelved
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: shifter
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: sweet
July 1, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: lgbtq

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Lesar Oh dear, cheating 😞. Sorry, but I can’t go there.

Barbara➰ Understandable. It’s usually a hard sell for me too. I did get why he tried...he was very sick and had no idea what was wrong with him. He needed something but didn’t know what. Nothing actually happened but he did try. It was lack of communication all around.

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Lesar Barbara➰ wrote: "Understandable. It’s usually a hard sell for me too. I did get why he tried...he was very sick and had no idea what was wrong with him. He needed something but didn’t know what. Nothing actually ha..."

Hear you, but not loud enough to tempt me. I’m sticking with the much safer bet of Just Ridley 😉

Anne Boleyn's Ghost 3 stars to a cheating book? I’m shocked! LOL

Barbara➰ Anne Boleyn's Ghost wrote: "3 stars to a cheating book? I’m shocked! LOL"

Lol well...there were extenuating circumstances. Had Zev communicated SOMETHING to Jonah, he wouldn't have felt like he "needed" something he was missing that Zev wouldn't provide. It's hard to explain and in a contemporary book I'd have been HELL NO! But here, he was physically sick and thought he was going mentally ill so he was "seeking" something he didn't understand himself. I gave him half a pass lol. I do think it could have been left out. But he never got very far with it. Once he puked before anything happened, the next time he couldn't even get it up lol. The third time was interrupted before anything happened but I suspect he wouldn't physically have been able to do it anyway. Like I said, and I know this sounds horrible, but he had no idea what was happening to him and Zev didn't explain anything to him. I honestly don't know what he could have done. When he was with Zev he was fine but he knew nothing about mates etc. Everything else was a good mate story..except that lol.

Anne Boleyn's Ghost I scanned another review (which was less kind than yours, LOL) and I'm unclear on whether he actually asked Zev about it? If not, I think that it says a lot about someone's mentality and morals that they would attempt cheating before conversation (which is why I'm so inflexible when it comes to cheating - there are an infinite better approaches to take). And if he did attempt to talk to Zev and Zev just ignored him, I don't see why Jonah would stay with him?! If you try to cheat on your partner three times and your partner is all "meh"...ooh boy, I'm rolling my eyes here.

That said, I have tried another book by this author and didn't like it at all. Maybe we just don't mesh?

Barbara➰ (view spoiler)

message 8: by Karla (new)

Karla Great review, Barbara!

message 9: by Anne Boleyn's Ghost (last edited Jul 02, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

Anne Boleyn's Ghost (view spoiler)

Barbara➰ (view spoiler)

Barbara➰ Karla wrote: "Great review, Barbara!"

Thanks Karla!

message 12: by Anne Boleyn's Ghost (last edited Jul 03, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

Anne Boleyn's Ghost (view spoiler)

Nazanin Wonderful review, Barbara! Sorry you didn't enjoy it more!

Barbara➰ Anne Boleyn's Ghost wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Totally agree. Here there could have been something better IMO than cheating. But it is what it is and I still liked some parts of it.

Barbara➰ Nazanin wrote: "Wonderful review, Barbara! Sorry you didn't enjoy it more!"

Thanks Nazanin! xoxo