Nancy 's Reviews > The Captain's Rebel

The Captain's Rebel by C.B. Halverson

I enjoy being drawn into a story the moment I begin reading. Such is the case with "The Captain's Rebel" where Mary pursues reclaiming her family's home from the unwanted English residents. The story piques my curiosity as Mary's dire circumstances revolve around that goal. She is on her own crusade where her willingness to sacrifice all is met with an equal inner strength to survive all.
As an aside, I most often read for pleasure but Halverson forced me to pause and think a bit while reading an overlapping passage from Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" with a rather heated encounter between the Captain and Mary. The mention of "the albatross" brought home the often-intermingling good luck/bad luck outcomes of Mary's travels. This is a good thing when brain cells are forced to fire up. It's an unexpected and appreciated bonus for me.
This historical romance is a good read specially if you desire a bit of heat generated by a few SM interactions and a story that moves right along.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captain's Rebel.

April 3, 2017 – Started Reading