Jackie's Reviews > The Magician's Lie

The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister

liked it
bookshelves: arcs

This book had a very interesting premise and I was quite excited to read it, especially when the synopsis said 'Water for the Elephants* meets *The Night Circus'! It was a good story but it could have been better!
It was difficult for me to get into the story at first. It starts with the arrest of the Amazing Arden who has been accused of killing her husband. From then on we get to find out everything about Arden. She claims she didn't kill her husband and tells the police officer the story of her entire life from beginning to end.
I would have given this 4 stars if the first half of the book wasn't so slow-paced and boring. It didn't catch my attention for long and I found myself taking long breaks inbetween reading. It felt like it was just going to drag on and on.
The second half was so much better though! It was very fast-paced and interesting and you couldn't help but get sucked into the story and wanting to find out how the story ends. At first I wasn't that interested in Arden as a character and didn't really care for her but the second half really helped me get invested in the story and Arden as a character.
Overall, it was a good book that I would recommend! It was just too draggy and slow-paced for me at first.

*I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Lie.

April 6, 2017 – Started Reading
April 6, 2017 – Shelved
April 8, 2017 –
26.0% "I really don't know what to think of this yet"
April 11, 2017 –
April 12, 2017 –
79.0% "The second half of the book is a lot more interesting than the first ngl"
April 13, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs