Joanne Robertson's Reviews > The People at Number 9

The People at Number 9 by Felicity Everett

When I read the blurb of this one I was very keen to read it due to having had a very similar experience a long time ago. So I was interested to see how far this author would take this domestic drama and what twists she would add to a very recognisable “school gate”situation.

I have to admit to not particularly liking either of the couples here so I wasn’t on anyone’s “side” but it was rather fun being a fly on the wall for this particular friendship. I found this to be very much a strong, character driven domestic Noir that gradually gets under your skin until you physically can’t tear your eyes away from the “car crash” finale you know must be coming.

Sara really seems to come into her element when she falls under the spell of first Lou and then Gav. Her new neighbours are very cool and hip, casually name dropping as they settle into their new life in suburbia. Their bohemian lifestyle seems to stretch to their parenting skills as well and Sara finds herself with Lou’s children far more than is reciprocated but still basks in her new friendships to the detriment of her old ones. I would normally have got very frustrated by now with Sara but I was actually very happy to stand back and wait for that inevitable moment when it all came crashing down!

I found this absolutely enthralling from start to finish. It’s one of the better examples of this genre that I’ve read recently, perfectly portraying the pretentious middle class values with a deliciously dark and slyly humorous observation. Don’t go in expecting lots of dramatic action or an intensely climatic finale, it’s not a psychological thriller but an intriguing insightful look at the social dilemma that is our neighbourhood. Fans of writers such  as Louise Candlish will lap this up with relish!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The People at Number 9.

April 6, 2017 – Started Reading