ambsreads's Reviews > The Upside of Unrequited

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

did not like it
bookshelves: contemporary, mental-health, romance, young-adult, annoying-female-leads, not-for-me

Let's teach people that the only way to achieve high self esteem is by boys liking you back!

Yeah, how about no.

I don't think this author and I are a match. I'm not sure I will enjoy her books. I was so frustrated by the fact Molly was basically basing her self worth on her friends attempts to get her a boyfriend it overshadowed the rest of the plot.

Not only that, but I felt this book was incredibly childish. I didn't enjoy the writing and felt myself cringing at the writing, especially the overuse of emojis in text (which had to be described, no thanks).

I could see what this book was trying to achieve, but for me it fell short. This could be because I couldn't remember who the hell was actually related to Molly - my fault, I know.

I also can't comment on the fat girl rep throughout this book, but from what I could see it seemed slightly harmful. The fact that she's relying on a boy for her to be happy (resulting in a bloody love triangle) is ridiculous. You're all beautiful. Fat, skinny, average (I say this to more so cover the people who are, occurring to science, the right weight for their height). It shouldn't matter. I've had a shit tonne of unrequited crushes and never have I let it impact who I am as an individual. I'm sure everyone has at least had an unrequited crush or not taken the risk when they thought someone was cute. The whole thing pissed me off.

For a positive, though, I will say the final chapter warmed my heart (took the whole book) and Molly's mum's were incredibly sweet. There is also a bunch of diversity, but diversity is definitely something which should be included anyway so I'm not giving any extra stars for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Upside of Unrequited.

April 5, 2017 – Shelved
April 25, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 25, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
April 25, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "I'm currently crushing on a guy who will never like me back (mainly because I don't actually really know him - joys of being out of school) SO THIS SOUNDS LIKE A TREAT FOR MY FEELS"
April 25, 2017 –
5.0% "i really hope this ends with molly realising boyfriends are overrated and don't contribute to your self worth because this does not seem like the path this book will take"
April 25, 2017 – Shelved as: annoying-female-leads
April 25, 2017 – Shelved as: not-for-me
April 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Alja (new) - rated it 1 star

Alja (alyaofwinterfell) THANK YOU. Finally someone else who has the same issues that I had when reading this!

Alexis  (TheSlothReader) I haven't read this yet but I can already tell that I can identify with the sentiments that Molly has expressed. I'm twenty-two years old and I still very much catch myself basing my self worth on the people around me. Being plus sized, I think it's learned behaviour. We're constantly told by society that we aren't pretty enough or good enough. And people can tell us to love ourselves as much as we want, but the reality is that it takes extensive emotional strength to overcome those self esteem issues. I think it's valid to not understand that sentiment but as someone who has, I think Albertalli was trying to portray a true emotional struggle that is rarely portrayed. As a teen, my least favorite thing to hear when I was struggled with plus sized body self esteem issues was that I just needed to learn to love myself. I think this is trying to be relatable for people who actually have felt those emotions.

message 3: by L A i N E Y (new)

L A i N E Y I've had a shit tonne of unrequited crushes and never have I let it impact who I am as an individual.

YES a thousand times, yes! This is what happens in reality!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Yikes! I've heard bad things about this one even from people who have liked her other books. Sounds like a no from me haha great review!

ambsreads Arkinsbow wrote: "Um. It looks like Becky may have replied to your (and other negative) review:

"

I probably would have if I hadn't been so annoyed by Simon and DNF'ed early in 🤷🏻‍♀️ I don't know how that works with this character literally obsessing over a boy tbh but hey, good job to the author and all the people who love this book tbh!

ambsreads Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Yikes! I've heard bad things about this one even from people who have liked her other books. Sounds like a no from me haha great review!"

Oh damn, that should have been my first sign hahaha! Thank you though!

ambsreads l a i n e y wrote: "I've had a shit tonne of unrequited crushes and never have I let it impact who I am as an individual.

YES a thousand times, yes! This is what happens in reality!"

RIGHT?! Like not every boys going to like you??? I'm almost 20 and dated one guy seriously but like why should that be all that I am???

ambsreads Alja wrote: "THANK YOU. Finally someone else who has the same issues that I had when reading this!"

GLAD IM NOT ALONE!

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo Hernanto Two words: ON. POINT.
I mean, I liked "Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda", but reading this, I went nope by the time I hit 50%. You perfectly described the problems with this book, and yes, I would have done the same thing you did and not give an extra star for its diversity. Even though it's nice (and perhaps compulsory) to have, it's the *main plot/story* that ultimately counts (feel free to disagree if this doesn't sit quite right); and to be very honest, this book flopped (yes, not just fell flat, *flopped*) at that for me.

ambsreads Thank you Jo! I agree with you!

alyssa *claps* well said, Amber! I honestly don't understand how this book has such a high rating??? and so many people enjoyed it??? I personally thought the first half of the book was just pathetic but the last couple of chapters were adorable <3

PS. I may or may not link your review in my review since you explained everything so nice and neat, which is so much better that what I could do, LOL

ambsreads Thank you, Alyssa! I can understand why people enjoyed it on some level but I just feel the message of this book was so poorly executed??? Getting a boyfriend at 17 is "late"???? I'm almost 20 and I have friends who have never dated so what does that make them, ancient???? The last chapters definitely were the best part of this book! <3

hahahahha feel free too! I'm glad you like this review <3

message 13: by Short (new)

Short  Reviews If getting a boyfriend at 17 is considered late, then I must be ancient! I'm 24 and still haven't dated. Great review! I can't stand it when characters chase after people regardless of if they're a girl or boy

ambsreads @Short I don't get the big deal about dating, honestly. I've had one relationship and the whole time I was like ah? Great? This is so overhyped? (he was a shit person too but still) I just wish books would promote more self love over you can't love yourself without a romantic partner! Also, thank you!

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Campbell See, I like the book, because what Molly feels is EXACTLY how I felt in school. I was the "fat" one, and watching my friends fall in love, lose their virginity and all that was tough. And while, as an adult, I can say that I don't need a boyfriend to validate me, in school, it was so hurtful that no one looked my way. It made me feel even more fat, and ugly. So, for me, it totally spoke to me, because the feelings molly had, were all my own in school. But everyone likes their own thing, ya know, so I'm not mad you don't like it :)

Maya! 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

message 17: by Riza (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riza Lo I finished reading this book. (Quite late to read this. Haha!) But this review is what exactly I'm thinking while reading the book.

Yes, Molly has anxiety and she overthink things from time to time. But we don't need any validation from anyone else. We just need to be ourselves all the time and if they don't like us then, fine. They don't deserve us.