Melanie's Reviews > The Understorey

The Understorey by Fisher Amelie

Aug 08, 2011

Read from August 20 to 22, 2011

I read The Glassheart Chronicles and was instantly drawn in to the story presented by Fisher Amelie (it's a sequel of sorts, and I'm really interested if there is a special Gray family trait?). I am not a love story person because usually written relationships drive me bonkers. That being said, wow. I absolutely loved this book. I mean it! It has stuck with me and towards the end it caused some emotional turmoil, mainly because I was truly scared for the characters. Funny and lovely but also haunting and chilling.

Elliot and Jules are awesome characters and they felt so real. I would go back to high school just to be friends with them. I would go back to high school so I could hang out with their families. They were genuinely kind hearted and their love is instant but obviously not easy. My favorite scenes involved Elliot trying to get Jules to speak to him. I appreciated his awkward, one sided conversation and I immediately started rooting for him ("Go get her, Elliot!"). But of course, the perfect couple has the craziest moments. High school pettiness went to the EXTREME because there was pure evil in Jesse. How could anyone miss his bad intentions and his downward spiral? I'm slightly interested in his background just to see what makes him tick.

When I read, I always find myself saying, "I will read to the next chapter and then I will sleep." Then I read five more chapters. Luckily for me, there arent many chapter breaks in this book and that is how I like it! I was prepping myself to ask for the Elliot-Jules playlist but was pleasantly surprised to find it as part of the end notes of the book ( I loved the end notes, btw).

I am assuming there are more books to come and I hope I am correct because I'm eager to see what is next!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Understorey.

08/20/2011
36.0% "I'm not one for ooey-gooey love stories but I can't put this book down. Darn! I have to sleep!"
08/21/2011 page 81
24.11% "81% done and my heart is pounding. I want justice!"