Victoria's Reviews > Iron House

Iron House by John Hart

A hit man, his lover, an author, a rich benefactress and a slew of monstrous gangsters are all part of the large cast we meet in this story that had me wondering whether I was reading Hart or DeMille. That’s not a disparaging comment, I’m quite fond of Nelson, but this just didn’t feel like Hart’s style especially the violent, rip roaring start that read more macho than moving. Add in an orphanage with Dickensian aspirations and it was almost too much to handle.

Almost.

Because all of the other Hart elements are there: the complex narrative, the rich characterization and always the incomparable writing. And in the midst of all the bloodshed, and I do have to warn that there is quite a bit, there is the love of family. Sounds strange, but it’s the overarching message.

Is this my favorite Hart novel? No. But it was still well worth the effort and with only two novels left on my shelves I’m hoping John is busy writing more because I don’t know how much time I can stretch in between those two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron House.

April 5, 2017 – Shelved
Started Reading
June, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Nice n honest review, Victoria!

Victoria Diane wrote: "Nice n honest review, Victoria!"

Thanks so much, Diane.

message 3: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Excellent review, Victoria.!!

message 4: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Fabulous review, Victoria! I loved how you outlined both the positives and weaker parts of this novel. Thank you! 🌼

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Great review, as always, Victoria! :-)

Zoeytron Well penned, Victoria. And oh, how I understand about eking out the last two books of a favored author.

Victoria Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Victoria! I loved how you outlined both the positives and weaker parts of this novel. Thank you! 🌼"

My pleasure, Jaline. It's hard to knock a favorite author, but we have to point out the flaws ( as we see them), even if we still love them.

Julie wrote: "Excellent review, Victoria.!!"

Thank you, Miss Julie!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, as always, Victoria! :-)"

And thank you, as always, positive and supportive friend! ❤️

Zoeytron wrote: "Well penned, Victoria. And oh, how I understand about eking out the last two books of a favored author."

Well of course you understand, we of the rainy day happiness. Thanks, ZT!

message 8: by Cheri (new)

Cheri I wasn't a big fan of the only John Hart novel I can recall reading, but not because I didn't enjoy his writing, I did, but because I knew within the first few pages who "dun" it. I did enjoy his writing, but if this isn't like his typical style, I may pass. An excellent, and lovely as always, Victoria, review!

Norma * Traveling Sister Great review, Victoria! :-)

message 10: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Glad you enjoyed this despite it not being your favorite Hart novel. Wonderful review, Victoria!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I loved every word of this review! I have this one hoarded up on my shelf. It’s been about six months since my last Hart read....Probably time to take one down and dust it off, but I am already dreading having one less Hart on the shelf. I think we’ve talked about this before. I’m feeling a sense of deja vu. 😂 💕

message 12: by JanB (new)

JanB Victoria, fair and honest review - sorry this one didn't quite measure up but I hope you love the last 2 of his books on your self :-)

message 13: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Awesome review Victoria! 😊

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds like I need to put Hart on my List ASAP! Fabulous review!

message 15: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Fantastic honest review Victoria!

message 16: by Victoria (last edited Aug 08, 2018 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Victoria Cheri wrote: "I wasn't a big fan of the only John Hart novel I can recall reading, but not because I didn't enjoy his writing, I did, but because I knew within the first few pages who "dun" it. I did enjoy his w..."

The writing is still top notch, it's just less of a mystery, more drama and way move violence (though not terribly graphic). Still, I don't see this as being one you'd enjoy, Cheri. And thank you for your always kind words.

Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Victoria! :-)"

Thanks Norma!

Meredith wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this despite it not being your favorite Hart novel. Wonderful review, Victoria!"

Even a so-so Hart is better than most. Thanks, Meredith!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "I loved every word of this review! I have this one hoarded up on my shelf. It’s been about six months since my last Hart read....Probably time to take one down and dust it off, but I am already dre..."

Music to my ears, thank you Jennifer! ❣️
I like the idea that you've been hoarding them. We all do. 🤣

JanB wrote: "Victoria, fair and honest review - sorry this one didn't quite measure up but I hope you love the last 2 of his books on your self :-)"

It honestly did measure up in terms of storytelling and it was a good read, just unexpected turn of events.

Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Awesome review Victoria! 😊"

Thanks, awesome Suzy with the adorable filter! 🐶

Holly wrote: "Sounds like I need to put Hart on my List ASAP! Fabulous review!"

You really should, Holly! You can join the fan club. 🤣

Susanne wrote: "Fantastic honest review Victoria!"

Thanks so much, Susanne!

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Intriguing review, Victoria! I’ve only read a few of JH’s, but I hope to get through more of them soon. 😊

message 18: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Victoria :)

Victoria Melissa wrote: "Intriguing review, Victoria! I’ve only read a few of JH’s, but I hope to get through more of them soon. 😊"

They're a cut above the usual mystery/suspense, hope you enjoy them as much as I have, Melissa.

Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Victoria :)"

Thanks, Deanna!