WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker's Reviews > Going Dark

Going Dark by Monica McCarty

Jul 31, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, military, mystery-suspense, series

****Full Review****

When Dean's SEAL team mission goes horribly wrong, he and the few survivors are ordered to scatter and go dark. Hiding out in a small Scottish town should be easy to keep his cover but when a damsel in distress crosses his path, all bets are off.
Annie knows it was reckless to travel with her new boyfriend to Scotland but she wants to make a difference in the world and protesting an offshore drilling site will hopefully protect the oceanic ecosystem she's worked to get her PhD in. When red flags start to appear though, she knows she's in trouble.
Annie and Dean have a whole lot of trouble chasing them down but their attraction for one another can't be ignored.

This new series starts off with intensity as we are introduced to SEAL Team Nine and follow along as they are on a dark ops mission in Russia. There is a lot thrown at you as we are introduced to a wide range of characters and military terms; it’s overwhelming and a bit confusing. The prologue sets the reader up thinking they'll be following along with a certain character only to have a switcheroo, it felt a bit odd. The basic concept though, of a SEAL team scattered throughout the world, hiding out, and searching for who betrayed them, is intriguing, mysterious, and will have you desperate to know more. This story arc weaves in and out as this book focuses on the Senior Chief Dean and his damsel in distress Annie.

Annie is introduced as our idealistic, vegetarian, and liberal activist with Dean as our “been around the world twice”, military tough, and conservative leanings hero. With this opposites attract set-up, they naturally had a lot of squabbles. The author did a good job of balancing out the good and bad of both Annie and Dean's ideals, liberal and conservative, but it also had a tendency to make their dialogue and interactions not feel natural and a bit preachy. I, personally, felt their whole liberal vs. conservative back and forth rhetoric somewhat exhausting as everyday life has inundated me with this already. They kind of have an insta-lust connection and because of how full the story is, their emotional connection was lacking for me. There was a scene where Dean talks about his dad but instead of it feeling like a bonding moment with Annie, it felt awkward and as if he was suddenly unloading on her out of nowhere.

There is so much going on in this story, the Lost Platoon story line that brings in a cast of characters that includes an old friend of Dean's named Colt and how he is trying to find out what happened to his friends. It's a bit of a secondary couple as Colt has to contact his ex-wife Kate, who we are led to believe slept with one of his teammates and best friend, with the best friend being the Lt Commander of the Lost Platoon, named Scott. So this side story of betrayed Lost Platoon, three way drama between Colt, Katie, and Scott, is beside Dean and Annie running from eco-terrorists. You can see why Annie and Dean's emotional building blocks got a bit left behind.

Annie was a bit manipulated to be overly naïve to further the damsel in distress and Dean was forced to be led by his hots for the good looking liberal while a bit confusing eco-terrorists plot kept them together. The main couple was overshadowed by the series arc of the Lost Platoon for me, it’s what kept me reading. Colt and Kate have me wildly curious about their story and I'm locked into finding out who betrayed SEAL Team Nine and just who all the survivors were.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Dark.

April 5, 2017 – Shelved
July 31, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense
July 31, 2017 – Shelved as: series
July 31, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie I'm really curious about this one. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts one it! Enjoy!!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I've seen some good reviews, so I'm hopeful :) Thanks!

message 3: by Bubu (new) - added it

Bubu Hope you enjoy, Kyra! Just one favour if you don't mind: If the sentence 'keep looking at me like that and I'll not last long' comes up, please let me know ;)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Lol. No problem!

message 5: by ♥ℳelody (new) - added it

♥ℳelody Bubu wrote: "Hope you enjoy, Kyra! Just one favour if you don't mind: If the sentence 'keep looking at me like that and I'll not last long' comes up, please let me know ;)"

I was just going to comment on this status update when I saw this.

LMAO! Bubu! 😂😂😂

message 6: by Bubu (new) - added it

Bubu Whaaaat? It's the one sentence she used in almost all of her Highland Guard series, and the one thing I remember clearly 😜😂

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I don't remember that sentence word for word but there was some very close moments, lol.

message 8: by Bubu (new) - added it

Bubu Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar wrote: "I don't remember that sentence word for word but there was some very close moments, lol."

I may read this one. Who knows. Even if it's only for the almost 'keep looking at me like that and I'll not last long'

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker It had first in a series syndrome but there was a secondary couple I'm dying to read about

RachelW (BamaGal) Now I don't feel quite so bad for dnf'ing this one. I never felt any real connection or pull to the story, so I finally gave up and moved on to the next read.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker The main couple was stuck in insta-lust for most of the story and was really overshadowed. If I hadn't been so intrigued by the Lost Platoon aspect, I would have hard a time. The second book in the series will determine a lot if I stick with it.
Hope you enjoyed your other read more :)

message 12: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read You lost me at "liberal activist"

Dísir Exactly how I felt. I stuck it out because of the 'Lost' bit. Everything else didn't live up to the blurb.

message 14: by Lyuda (last edited Jul 31, 2017 08:26PM) (new)

Lyuda Was it explained in the book why the man on the cover lost his short?:))

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Maybe joining in on the "Lost" theme? lol. His abs can't be contained!!!

message 16: by Zoe (new)

Zoe oh I can attest to having read that sentence in the highland guards series over and over again and remember thinking "if you keep saying that in your books again and again, I won't last long either."

message 17: by book_luv_r (new)

book_luv_r Liberal Activist? Thanks for the heads up. I'll skip this one.

message 18: by Mou (new)

Mou Great review!!

Marielle Thanks for your review. I was afraid this book was going to suffer from a bad case of first-in-a-series syndrome, because that's what happened with the first of the Highland Guard too. Your review has strenghtened my resolve to wait for the second book, and then start reading.

message 21: by Zoe (new)

Zoe I started the book a while ago but could not really get invested in the book. This is a very well-balanced review and exactly how I have felt about the book so far. My aversion for contemporary stories doesn't help of course. lol :D Loved reading the review!!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker @Marielle - You're welcome :) I don't think you would miss too much skipping this one, just initial introductions to a couple characters. Not a lot was revealed about who set-up the SEAL platoon, just that it happened.

@Zoe - Thank you! Historical is my first love but I hope you can eventually find more contemporaries that fit your style.