Aine Massie's Reviews > Wizard's First Rule

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

'Wizard's First Rule' by Terry Goodkind (Book #1 of the Sword of Truth Series) was engaging from the start. The story flowed well and as I enjoyed this book, I recommend this book to any fantasy lover that has the time to read large works of art.

At 863 pages it seems like it should be dull and fluffed out with drivel to make the page count but honestly I think if he had removed any part of this story it would have desiccated the overall plot and enjoyment of 'Wizard's First Rule.'

The characters in ‘Wizard’s First Rule’ is what makes this story what it is! Richard Cypher is the reluctant hero, though what a hero! Sexy, powerful, loyal. He is the "Seeker of Truth," so named by the First Wizard Zedd. Kahlan is intelligent, resourceful, yet fearful and alone. She is power itself in their world but she suffers because of her power. She cannot have true (consummated) love without destroying her beloved. And Zedd, such a lovable, eccentric wizard! I just loved him. He may be my favourite character.

Both Richard and Kahlan have to learn to navigate the world and their budding relationship all while having to defend the weak and fight to destroy the evil that is spreading across their world. There are multiple story plots working at once but I loved the complexity and depth. And trust me, the villain is truly… frighteningly sick.

Warning: Violence (but it's part of the story not just for violence sake). Not your kids fantasy book.

A love story with swords, destroying touches, and a crazy wizard. I look forward to reading the next book, "Stone of Tears.' I give 'Wizard's First Rule' 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard's First Rule.

Finished Reading