Amelia's Reviews > Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

By the summary, it can be accurately guessed what's going to happen. It's a predictable storyline. So it takes talent like Cath Crowley's to take a predictable storyline and turn it into a funny, enjoyable, unique book with great writing and even greater characters.

I liked the main characters, Lucy and Ed. Lucy had real sass—the kind country grandfathers tend to find charming, but she didn't come off as aloof because she had compassion. She was a visionary when it came to art and she was also fearless when it came to standing up for this passion.

Ed was really cool, too. He had a tortured artist's soul, but it didn't come off in this wimpy way. He wasn't this guy who was worldly and just happened to have a crappy life at home. Ed was the opposite: he was real thinker, passionate about art and actually had a good family situation with his mom. His bitter view on life ran deep. This believability really came off true.

The minor characters were also fantastic. They really added a great flavor to the book.

Cath Crowley writes these characters in a very real way. It's hard to explain how, but coupled with the atmosphere, the writing, and the humor, it came off as a great package.

The only thing that bothered me was how the chapters overlapped. I don't have a particular preference when it comes to choosing between alternating POV books and one-character POV books, but this really bothered me because Cath Crowley went back into a scene that had already been covered by another character and rewrote half of it in the other character's POV. I wouldn't have minded if it had happened once, but it was like that in most of the chapters.

I loved Cath Crowley's simple, gently sarcastic writing. Bookmarking on my Kindle is godsend because there were a lot of memorable lines.

The moment of clarity doesn't go any further than that because smacking into a tree in the middle of the night will knock clarity right out of a girl, every time.

Every now and then I think he's here because in the dark Ed looks like a shadow that someone else is casting.

Overall, Cath Crowley has the potential to be up there with Melina Marchetta. Her ability to turn around a predictable storyline and add on with incredible backstory will keep me looking for her next books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graffiti Moon.

August 8, 2011 – Started Reading