Carrie Kellenberger's Reviews > _Shift: A thriller of multiple dimensions.

_Shift by Brian Q. Webb

2048986

bookshelves: science-fiction

It's always tough to write a review about a book that has been written by a friend, but in this case, this one wasn't too difficult because I already knew the author could write, and that is because we were both blogging together back in 2007. (He is also an excellent photographer, as well.)

_Shift: A thriller of multiple dimensions is a fantastic, fast-paced read that was tough to put down. The characters are extremely likable, and it's easy to fall into the storyline, which is a mix of science fiction, mystery, and suspense. I especially liked that it was set in Taiwan, and I got a little thrill from every reference Webb made about Taiwan.

I saw a tiny complaint in another review about this book in regards to the pop-culture references, but for me, this is what stood out because these references are about a place that I have called home for over a decade. It wouldn't be the same book without these inclusions, and it made it much more relatable to me because it was based in a culture that I understand and relate to.

The hero of this story is female, she's Asian, and she is badass. I loved her character and I hope I see more of her.

In _Shift: A thriller of multiple dimensions, the story starts in the real world, but we soon learn that other dimensions exist and they are being used for natural resources. Dr. Pei Xiao, a science reporter from Wired magazine, has been sent on a mission to uncover the mystery of a strange piece of code. Her boss enlists Roy Bryant's help in assisting Pei with her mission.

Their first interview quickly turns into an adventure in another dimension and from there on in, the book just sucks you into more action and entertainment with every turn of the page.

I had no idea that my friend could write science fiction so well, but I hope he is reading this review and smiling. I would not be giving it five-stars unless I enjoyed it thoroughly, and I did.

My only regret is that I didn't make it to the Taipei International Book Exhibit to get a signed copy from him, but that will happen the next time he is at a book show, I hope. At any rate, this is a steal on Kindle at $3.99.

For a first novel, I think Brian Q. Webb did a fantastic job and I am looking forward to his next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read _Shift.

April 4, 2017 – Started Reading