Lee's Reviews > The Captain's Rebel

The Captain's Rebel by C.B. Halverson

U 50x66

Well, The Captain’s Rebel certainly surprised me! Having previously enjoyed NA books from this author, and despite being warned about the content of this particular book, I guess I had preconceived notions about the writer’s ability to change age groups (and heat it up, maybe). Yeah, well, I was wrong.

I was not disappointed by the quality of the prose, nor the promise of an intriguing storyline, both things I’ve come to expect from C.B. Halverson. In fact, the storyline is so captivating, I would have liked to see it further fleshed out and fully realized…but the sheer amount of sex would preclude that possibility, unless the book were extended to Lord of the Rings length!
Historical elements are skilfully woven into the...um...romance. I’m hesitant to label the book as ‘romance’, because it went way beyond ‘boy meets girl and they get it on’. All the way to thermonuclear hot. And, nope, I did not see that level of intensity coming!
The heroine, Mary, verges on unlikeable in her manipulation of the hapless Johnny, which at first prevented me bonding with her plight. On reflection, though, the characterization paints a more realistic portrayal of a woman intent on her mission. And Captain Grant...well, swoon. Perfect in SO many ways. Some days, you have to be grateful for digital books, because the pages don’t betray you by falling open to the well-thumbed parts, outing your favorite scenes to the world. And, there are some pages in there that would be dog-eared in my copy!
This genre can have a tendency to be a series of sex scenes linked by blocks of ‘fill in’ prose. You know, those bits we skip through to get to the juicy scenes! However, this was certainly not the case with The Captain’s Rebel. The book starts with a bang, and is an absolute page-turner. In fact, one of my few criticisms would be that perhaps there was a little too much sex (not something I thought I’d ever say!) or maybe it was that the sex scenes were a little too focused on the BDSM aspect. Perhaps this is because I was eager to see forward momentum in the storyline, as it held such promise. And, of course, is BDSM is your jam, you’ll absolutely love it.

I’d certainly be keen to read this again if it were written as a historical that just ‘happened’ to contain sex, as I’d love to know more of Mary’s story.

I was provided a free copy of this book by NetGalley in return for my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captain's Rebel.

Finished Reading