Kathleen Harsch's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Aug 08, 2011

liked it

Overall, the book was okay. If someone never saw pictures like those before and had never read anything about kids with superpowers before, they might like it more than I did. The peculiar children were difficult to distinguish from one another because the characterization was so shallow. Even Ellen, who is one of the main characters did not seem to have much depth, and the fact that she falls in love with her childhood sweetheart's grandson is just in a word...creepy. I think this book would have been way more interesting from the viewpoint of the grandfather and told from the time period of when he was a boy. The main character, Jacob, was kind of hard to like. He redeems himself by trying to save everyone, but this book could have been better. A little more humor, a lot more characterization of minor characters so we can at least tell them apart, and a love interest who wasn't already in love with the main character's grandfather would have improved this book and I would have given it a higher rating. With this said, I still liked the book as something a thirteen or fourteen year old boy might read and will recommend it to those students who I think might enjoy its "peculiarities."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

August 8, 2011 – Shelved
December 12, 2011 – Started Reading
December 12, 2011 –
page 258
73.3% "Riveting and I like the protagonist, Jacob's voice."
December 15, 2011 –