Ann's Reviews > Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites

Beasts of Burden by Evan Dorkin

Aug 08, 2011

bookshelves: animals, fantasy, graphic-novel, horror, magic, monsters, paranormal, werewolves, witches-witchcraft-wizards
Read from May 30 to June 04, 2012

I bought this book to impress a guy without knowing anything about it (he was impressed), but I'm not sorry that I did, now that I've read it. The watercolors are really beautiful and give a good mix of comic style with gorgeous imagery, and the story is legitimately spooky. Actually, it's beyond spooky: there are several really disturbing parts. I'm sure that the art helped me get past those, since I know I wouldn't have been able to handle them had they been in a movie, but there were still really striking panels that will stick with me for a long time, although in the best possible way. I was a little nervous about reading this since I don't really think of dogs as anything other than hilarious goofballs, but the book often makes them noble and majestic, which just doesn't jive with my idea of dogs. But the author often juxtaposes their heroic acts with the reality of how dogs act, like breaking up a serious meeting in order to rush home for table scraps, and I appreciated that he didn't try to humanize them too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beasts of Burden.