Wastrel's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Aug 08, 2011

bookshelves: z-2011, fantastika-fantasy-saga
Read in July, 2011

Well-written (though not flawless) epic fantasy. Highly entertaining in places, but with some slow sections, and little overall plot progression. Will mostly please fans wanting their latest fix; may worry fans concerned about the author's control over the scope of the cycle. There are considerable changes in tone and content from previous books - the narrative has broadened and darkened.

Probably good enough to please many non-fans as well - though with four giant tomes preceding this one, that's a mostly moot point.

I enjoyed this enough to keep me interested in the series, having been disillusioned by A Feast for Crows and unimpressed by a recent re-read of A Game of Thrones. If the series ends well, this will be looked back at as a strong and interesting installment; if the series doesn't end well, or doesn't end, fingers will be pointed and people will talk about its failure to progress the plot further than it did.

My fuller review can be found here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.