Marlen's Reviews > Hellfire

Hellfire by John Saul

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2017

Once again I got myself to read one of John Sauls books. As usual, Hellfires plot develops around a bunch of overprivileged, founding families of an usually meaningless town. Further, as usually, doom comes in form of misstreated an haunted kids, too-stupid-to-breath adults and some mystical place.
Lets speak clear: John Saul has only written one story in his carreer and tends to spread it out over about 20 books.
You can have fun with it if you haven't read Saul before, but if you have, you will get tired over this never ending repetition of this one, not even very creative, theme of him.
But: Hellfire is a nice and short novel. Its kind of drawn out in the beginning, but at least Saul gives us the the mercy of plotting a real end. We all know thats one biiiig improvement, concerning his other novels. The characters are a variety of dumbness or sheer nastiness. The locations however are appealing indeed.

Come to an end, I'd say: It's an okay book for Saul Starters. It's easy and fast to read and it provides a nearly solid end. But if you are already firm in his universe, just skip that one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellfire.

Quotes Marlen Liked

John Saul
“He was my father, darling, but I have to confess I didn’t like him very much.”
John Saul, Hellfire

John Saul
“Forty-three years old, and still afraid of my father. Some tycoon, hunh?”
John Saul, Hellfire