Karen's Reviews > If You Were Here

If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster

it was ok

I'm sorry. I wanted to like this book. I really did. But how long it took me to get through it is a testament to the contrary. The author has great skill in transcribing her character's thoughts into narration. the "thinking process" felt true and accurate. However, when it comes to what goes on inside our heads--the minute to minute, hour to hour drone--I think most of it ought to be left to the thinker. Frankly, I was not at all engaged with the main character, thus her internal conversations were uninteresting to me.

Perhaps if I was a DIYer, I would have been more enthusiastic about the plot. And perhaps if I enjoyed lighthearted man-bashing, I would have found the storyline amusing or even funny. Neither of those things are true, so neither of those results followed.

I would like to give the author credit for using a device I've never before seen used in fiction. When the narrator had a side comment to share, something that could have been written as a parenthetical phrase, the author created a numbered footnote. Though I skimmed through the last three chapters so that I could finish this read, I did not miss one footnote. Not one. They were interesting, funny, and often emotionally engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Were Here.

Started Reading