Lisa's Reviews > The Peach Keeper

Apr 04, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

★★★ and 1/2

This was a sweet, predictable story, and exactly what I needed right now; short, simple, and a breath of fresh air.

Predictability is huge in this novel. You can figure out within the first 50 pages how this whole plot is going to play out. It's part of what made this story so quick and easy to read. Friendship and love were also major in this book, with a strong message of always being there for your friends, making this a lovely little novel.

I think what prevented me from truly loving this story, however, were the brewing romances that are a staple in every Allen novel. The tales didn't feel all that complete and fully fleshed out, in my opinion. Nevertheless, I did like how both the men and women were pushed to change, rather than just the women (you know what I mean--guy enters girls' life and turns it upside-down, girl ends up accepting change and falling in love. This time girl also gets the guy to accept change).

The magical realism in the story also felt a little incomplete, but it really wasn't the focal point in the story, so I can't say it was a real negative point for this book.

I love Sarah Addison Allen's stories, although I have to say Garden Spells is still my favorite. So I was surprised to see a tie-in to my favorite story in this novel, in the form of Claire Waverley catering to one of the events. I always enjoy tie-ins, so it was a pleasant surprise to see it here.

Overall, I found this story entertaining. Like I said earlier, it's sweet, simple, and predictable. I see this being an excellent beach read, so if you're looking for something to read while on vacation, I would recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peach Keeper.

March 31, 2017 – Started Reading