Deron's Reviews > Then We Came to the End

Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

Apr 06, 2008

Recommended to Deron by: Willis, Pete, Blade
Read in April, 2007

We first saw the reviews referring to it as an existential version of The Office which peaked our interest because it combined two things that we loved and that described our lives. Then Pete and Blade emailed us to say that Willis had recommended it to them and they loved it and had both independently agreed that it was something that Dup would love. We heard Dup went over to brunch with Willis and Lia and borrowed Willis's copy. He loved it and read it a week and then passed it on to LaKetch. LaKetch read eighty pages and said while the "buckshelves" part was funny that she likes her fiction like she likes her life WITH PLENTY OF ACTION and this book didn't cut it for under that criteria.

The use of first person plural (or attempt at) in the paragraph above is inspired by the book. We now shift to normal first person for the rest of the review, lest you strangle us, eh, make that me, strangle me.

I thought it was hilarious and had a great heart that reminded of Saroyan. That's rare these days I think. If you are an actor I'd recommend looking it over for some monologue possibilities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then We Came to the End.

03/01/2017 marked as: read