Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > The Summer I Lost It

The Summer I Lost It by Natalie Kath

2281988
Aug 08, 2011

bookshelves: level-middle-grade, genre-realistic-fiction, source-netgalley, format-ebooks
Read in August, 2011

The Summer I Lost It is a short novel for tweens and young teens written in the format of a weight loss diary. The author of the diary is a teenage girl named Kat, who wants two things - to lose weight and to have a boyfriend. After her parents deny her request to go to Fat Camp for the summer, Kat figures out how to tackle her weight problem on her own and joins a gym. Her parents are pleased to see her take the initiative, so they sweeten the deal with the promise of a vacation once Kat loses fifteen pounds. Kat is also motivated by her crush on a boy named Josh, who is nice to her, even if he doesn't seem that interested in her romantically. Kat is sure Josh doesn't like her because of her weight, but as she becomes more comfortable in her own skin, she starts to see that she has plenty of desirable qualities, and thanks to the gym, she might just have a new crush who is better suited to her personality and interests.

The writing style is perfect for a hi-lo book. The plot of the story is something very real, taken from everyday contemporary life, and the diary format, as well as the calendar pages and handwritten notes about calories scrawled in the margins make it very visually appealing, and easy to read. The health information is accurate and useful, and made all the more palatable by the fact that it's being delivered by a peer, rather than a well-intentioned adult.

I did wonder who the intended audience of this book is. I don't know many teenage girls who would choose to read a book on weight loss, and I don't think the romantic elements of the story are necessarily strong enough to draw readers in. That said, I think girls looking for books on this topic will enjoy the gossipy, contemporary language of Kat's diary entries, and her honesty about how her weight, and losing weight, make her feel. All in all, this was an upbeat, feel-good story about self esteem and positive life changes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer I Lost It.

09/18/2016 marked as: read-2011