Ingrid Hansen's Reviews > Brethren

Brethren by Robyn Young

Aug 08, 2011

Recommended to Ingrid by: A friend
Recommended for: People with a history interest

This book is in its own way a good book. I was thrilled to read in the authors "Note", that she tried to be as authentic and true as possible to the story about the Templars who went to Outremer to try to convert all the Muslims living there.
Another good thing is that you follow the Emir Baybars rise to becoming a Sultan and how he does it.
He's a ruthless man who wants all Christians out of his part of the world and somehow you wont blame him for being so vindictive.
Our main character Will Cambell is just a boy when we meet him, but he also carries a heavy burden of his sisters tragic accident and his fathers conversion to becoming a Templar Knight who sails of to Outremer to work on a special course for a secret brotherhood in the Templars and after that hardly pays any attention to his son.
Will makes his own way of living and doesn't really follow the rules and as a young man he is assigned to a priest as a scribe i Paris because of a minor mistake with drinking some altar wine and is not Knighted for many may years to come because of a lot of things.
Well we have love as well and it goes well with the novel and I wont get in to it because you also have to have something to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brethren.