Donna Alward's Reviews > The Proud Wife

The Proud Wife by Kate Walker

I have loved tackling the TBR. I can look at my stack of category romances and pick what tickles my fancy. I remember Kate mentioning something about being unsure of this cover (the UK version) and how it fit the story, but I found the cover really intriguing! I wanted to know more about who this woman was. The US cover is more "colour correct" - the heroine has red hair - but there's something about this one that I love.

But inside the pages, and while I enjoyed being in Marina's head, it was the lovely Pietro that really was my focus. My favourite heroes of Kate's are the ones who appear uncompromising and domineering on the outside but are really intensely emotional and tender on the inside - and the books that do it best for me is when that is immediately apparent to the reader.

Pietro is giving Guido a run for his money as my fave KW hero. Maybe it's a Sicilian thing?

It could be said that a lot of problems could be solved over a cup of tea and a good conversation. But the problems start when that conversation means being honest - and vulnerable. There are times when you want to say to both Marina and Pietro - just say it, for the love of Mike! And yet you understand why they hold out for so long. It is not easy facing your hardest, most painful moments, with the one person you love the most but are sure doesn't love you in return.

What really strikes emotional chords is how both are affected by Marina's miscarriage in the early days of their marriage. We can sympathize and relate to BOTH characters from the get go. That they held on to hurts and failed to communicate is common - personally I think a grief of this sort either brings people together or pushes them apart. I was reading along waiting for my kid's band concert to start the other night and had to put it back in my purse - no crying in the school auditorium!

One last thing - it always amazes me how Kate writes stories that "compress" time. The majority of this story happens in a 24 hour period. There is a richness to her language, a depth of emotion and physical beats and imagery that, if I attempted to emulate, would result in a draggy pace. But it never does with Kate. I don't know how she does that (she has a very skilled hand). It just goes to show why individual, strong voices are so important in series romance.

This is right up there as one of my favourite KW romances - did you read it? What did you think?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Proud Wife.

Finished Reading
August 8, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Debbie DiFiore I loved it but I am still a little confused on what happened. I am going to re-read it just to see if I skimmed over something. Lol