Sarah's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

193255
Apr 06, 2008

bookshelves: gr-author, kindle, magic-sci-fi-fantasy, audio

I never have any idea what's going on in a Neil Gaiman book, but I always enjoy the ride. This was the anniversary edition of this book, and it contains the "author's preferred text" which I guess is extended with stuff that was edited out the first time. The audiobook was a full cast narration, so each character and the narrator were voiced by a different actor. Some reviews have pointed out that it was distracting for them to hear a different voice say, "he said," but I quite liked this full cast narration business. It was not a performance like the Neverwhere one with James McAvoy, which had no narration at all and had sound effects like a radio drama. I liked this format much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

April 6, 2008 – Shelved
December 30, 2010 – Shelved as: gr-author
December 30, 2010 – Shelved as: kindle
December 30, 2010 – Shelved as: magic-sci-fi-fantasy
Started Reading
June 18, 2015 – Shelved as: audio
June 18, 2015 – Finished Reading

Meghan I don't know why, but I just find it weird that you picked this one to read. I guess I don't picture you reading much sci-fi. heh

Sarah Well, Nate recommended it to me and since then I've heard a LOT of people talking about it. And the reviews here on GR seem pretty good. Besides, it's about superheroes. Sorta.

Meghan Well, he started out in graphic novels. The sci-fi club is reading Neverwhere. I didn't have room this month, but I'm interested. I know his Sandman graphic novels are amazing.

Dini This one's in my to-read pile too (if I can find it...). I heard it has a lot of mythic and paranormal elements aside from sci-fi. Plus it's the inspiration behind one of my favorite TV series, Supernatural.

Sarah Really, Dini? I didn't know that. I saw an episode or two of Supernatural and it didn't do anything for me, despite Dean from GG and Jason from Smallville (whose name is now Dean... weird).

Dini Sarah, Dean becoming Dean's brother is always a fun trivia. I read that American Gods inspired the series creator to build a story around two guys road-tripping across America while solving supernatural problems. Of course it was the two gorgeous guys that got me interested in the series at first, but then I was hooked on the mysteries, the humor, the drama, the classic rock scores, and the multi-layered dynamics between the boys. I highly recommend it.

Meghan The book or the gorgeous guys, Dini? hehe

Dini Both, of course! ;)

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve I've been interested in this for awhile, but haven't taken the time to sample it. After your well-stated reaction, Sarah, I still don't know what to expect, but am all the more intrigued.

Sarah I would write more about the story itself, but I think it's better going into it not knowing what to expect.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Often that's for the best. Thanks, Sarah.